• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SoCal Nov-29 Drive - Anyone going from the south?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a hall pass to join the drive. I will be leaving from Irvine (Orange County) and was wondering if anyone else will be heading up... thought we might meet up and caravan together?

Brian

Guest Anonymous

331.JPG

Looks like about six so far. This will be the last one until spring as it starts to get nasty (snow and ice) around mid Dec. through early March. Come on all you L.A. area drivers let's see those 02's in action!

Guest Anonymous

I ran into Gary at the new Starbucks in Irvine and we got to talking about doing a drive down here... somewhere between LA and San Diego. Maybe a start across Ortega highway and then we were undecided where to go from there. Dad and I used to run a couple of different routes from there on our motorcycles, so I will have to go scout out some of these and see about putting an 02 drive together. I was thinking about some time in January.

Would people be interested in a drive if I put it together? Anybody want to help me put it together?

Part of my reason for going Saturday is to see how you guys put this together.

Brian

Guest Anonymous

cant decide what they want to do. We just stick to a date and go drive. If no one comes than that's fine too it sometimes just ends up the three of us. As many 02's around down in L.A. and Orange county I would think to see more drives and get-togethers as in the bay area....oh well we have our little group here and the best backyard's to play in ;) The San Diego group was pretty active for a few years but no drives of late. Looking forward to the Mexico drive with Rey in Spring. IMO the Ortega Hwy. gets way to busy on weekends, a few yrs. back Fahuna & Co. put on a L.A. drive and some clownie in an M3 lost it and another guy went over the side in his Eclipse up at the top. Beware of ice on parts of that road in Winter. How about putting a 02 drive together during next years Octoberfest in Pasadena? Thinking of getting some of the 02ers from out of state a taste of our roads!

Guest Anonymous

That's what I do. I get together with a and j, we pick a date, and post it. The first time we did this, we drove the road, wrote down the miles, the intersections, how long it takes, and picked the spots to take breaks.

The hardest part is establishing the order of cars and letting each driver drive up to their own abilities. So if you are being tailgated, let the guy pass. It's not a competition. We are all there to have safe fun with our cars.

I also like running the same road. it's almost like a track. A 60+ miles track. But if you know a road, let us know. I'm game.

See you Saturday.

Guest Anonymous

bmw1.jpg

flying at my car from apex-clipping, oil-fumes, big rocks in the road, tickets or to come upon a wreck in a blind-turn. I figure I'll be the caboose again and since I'll have a trunk full of tools I'll be able to rescue someone if they have a problem ('cept any new dimpling that occurs). I prefer to do my fast road-driving solo as it's easiser to be unnoticed. The weather prognosis is good and sunny. Just be careful of water runoff (or runoff that might be icy), as my buddy lives up at the top in Pine Mountain Club, and it was down to 18f last night there at about 5800ft. FRS/GMRS radios might be a thing to bring just in case someone up ahead spots a cop or situation.

Also, when going through town be cool (as everyone was last time) as a cop could radio to his buddy and set-up a trap way up ahead. Kind of look like the moronic Harley-heads that will block your way more than once.

Guest Anonymous

Some of us drive faster than others. But none of us have problems with ego. It is not a race. I never drive faster than I consider safe, or faster than I or my car can handle. When some one else is faster, they go by. And we stop often to regroup and take a break. Then we go again. I do not want to end up on my roof, or even with a minor dent. That would be a bummer.

Guest Anonymous

My paranoia starts above any marked speed-limit. Let the group clean-up the cops for me so I can drive by and honk. About 20 years ago I was shooting the Vector in Malibu Canyon with Mr. Vector, Jerry, driving and my friend Jim riding shotgun. The Vector was making some power runs for me and the trans was leaking fluid onto the exhaust. A CHP spotted 'em and pulled the Vector over and wrote him for smoking. I got a great shot of the CHPie pulling them over with the reds on.