• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I repair my radiator at home, by myself?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have two small leaks in two fins of my radiator. Is there an effective home fix? The bigger of the to is probably about .5mm X 1mm.

TIA,

Elias

Guest Anonymous

you might try JB Weld. Have heard it will hold on a radiator at the pressure an 02 cap holds (14 or so psi). Be sure and clean surfaces thoroughly before applying.

If you want to try soldering (and it's a brass radiator of course), remove, drain and clean REALLY thoroughly. Use acid core solder (like plumbing solder) and a propane torch--give it a try. If you screw it up, there's always JB Weld and/or a radiator shop.

Good luck

Mike

Guest Anonymous

If you know how to solder, and you have a torch or big enough iron, you can patch small holes. I've taken in used radiators with all manner of home-repaired leaks, and most of the small repairs hold. I've got one with most of a Mountain Dew can held on by a kilogram of JB Weld.

Guest Anonymous

honest truth? take it out and take it to a shop, they WILL do it correctly,fast, and right the first time. Its fun and rewarding to do things yourself, but sometimes ya gotta weigh the frustration