• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hey is there any reason why valve adjustment would get *tigh

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

lisafront.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/index.html

time? i just did the valves on a junkyard 320i motor that bobinokc had laying around (thanks again bob!!), and they were *all* tight. think it was just a P.O. job or can valves actually get tighter somehow??

possibilities:

1. idiot p.o. or po mechanic adjusted them too tight (im talking *no* play)

2. carbon build up on the valve seats

3. silly magic bavarian elves messing with me

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

Other things to consider,

Temperature of the motor

Who did the work- their reputation

Did they use the right feeler, or was it the next one down cuz I can't find the one I need.

When I do the valve adjust on my M3, I usually write down what the values are, followed by a + or - to show if it was a tight 11 or a loose 11.

Guest Anonymous

tighter @ each adjustment. On a new engine I adjust @ 300 mi., 600 mi., 1500 mi., 3K, and then, every 6K. After 15-20K mi. I usually only find 3 or 4 a little tight. I adjust mine on all 3 '02s to .007 in.

Guest Anonymous

tighter @ each adjustment. On a new engine I adjust @ 300 mi., 600 mi., 1500 mi., 3K, and then, every 6K. After 15-20K mi. I usually only find 3 or 4 a little tight. I adjust mine on all 3 '02s to .007 in.

Guest Anonymous

Wear on the valve face & the valve seat allows the valve to sink deeper when closed.

This means more of the valve stem sticks up out of the top of the guide, and decreases the clearance between the valve stem tip & rocker arm eccentric (which is where you measure clearance).

This is most apparent with freshly machined narrow-width seats, as they will be most prone to get hammered out as the engine is run in. Narrow seats are good for performance, and the stock BMW specs for seat width are actually quite good for that.

When the valve face & seats wear it also increases the "installed height" of the springs, which reduces the seat & nose pressure (easier to float a valve when that happens.)

Of course, wear on rocker arms/shafts can cause valve lash to increase, but don't count on these two different wear patterns to cancel themselves out and leave you with perfectly set lash. More likely worn out heads exhibit slop in the lash along with weak spring pressures from incorrect spring installed heights.

Do a freshen-up on a high performance head

record the angles & widths on the seats

run it hard for a season then tear it down for inspection

and & you will see this process clearly !