• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to fry a starter motor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well i am going at a starter motor/bellhousing bolt and I had forgotten to disconnect the battery and then the ratchet touched some wires and it was like the fourth of july. Now the starter motor wont even turn over. Its like the car has a dead battery but i checked it and its full. So any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

It's not fused so there's a chance.

Do you have the starter out? If so, can you spin it by hand? have you tried to "jump" it (using jumpercables and a battery)?

If it's in the car, are you sure its not your ignition?

Is it an auto by anychance?

Guest Anonymous

all the lights work when its on. Im not really sure how to check it though. By auto I am guessing automatic tranny and yes it is and auto(soon to be 5 speed) And I havent tried to jump it. I watched my friend do it but i cant remember how

THANKS FOR THE HELP

eric

Guest Anonymous

Attach voltmeter leads to the big terminal on the starter and the starter frame.

With key off, it should read about 12.6 volts. If lower, the big fat cable is fried.

With key in start position, it should read 9-10 volts. If it's zero, the big fat cable is fried. If it's higher, starter solenoid is fried or white wire from ignition switch to starter terminal 15 or ignition switch is fried.

Move positive meter lead to terminal 15. Voltage should be 9-12 volts with key in start position.

Guest Anonymous

with the starter motor removed, hook a + jumper cable to the big wire that comes out the top of the starter motor just below the solenoid. Put a piece of cardboard between the clamp and the starter motor battery as clearance is close and you don't want more sparks. Then touch the neg jumper cable to the frame of the starter. If the motor spins, then it's the solenoid. If nothing, then something's wrong internally in the starter. You can do the same thing on the car by taking a big screwdriver and bridging the two big terminals--one of the solenoid, the other on the motor itself. Just be careful doing that--don't let the screwdriver touch ANYTHING else but those two terminals or you'll have more fireworks.

That being said, I'll bet it's a fried wire somewhere.

Good luck...

Mike