• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow up on E3 or E9 spare tire well:

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Don't think so. If you were to increase the diameter of the well

you would have to run a smaller muffler and/or trim the left

rear quarter panel to accommodate. And, with big bumpered

02's there is a larger center frame member which limits the

spare tire well diameter further.

IMHO, it's not worth the trouble. Stick to the 02 well, just make

it deeper, if need be. In fact, why not just keep the original

size spare??? it's just a spare, right? I would actually like to

find a "pizza cutter" spare for my 02. Then I could put more

tools and "spare's" in the spare well.

-E

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

Geeze tman: everyone is going to 20s and bigger- you gots to get with the timeze...Thanks E for the info: actually,i think you are right about the concept of a smaller spare and some extra space. Guess it boils down to how much driving and the preformance you want from your spare. Hell, i should just get a 13 inch lightweight wheel. But, i have a lot invested in my Alpina turbine spare and new rubber, so i will just have to live with it. It is the size of my other tires and it clears the front calipers, so I dont need to do a double switch if i have a front flat, and i can drive at speed with it on the car. Thanks for your opinion on the E3, E9 swap out.I guess the projects went well. I am still trying to line up a recaro adapter for driver's seat, but i need measurements:I had a lengthy exchange with a nice guy with rails from s set of flowfits, but they only raise the seat 1 inch and i think driver needs more than that. email me off board for ideas on solving the recaro bracket issue. Thanks again for your work. Did you find the spray paint?

Guest Anonymous

in reference to the original post, "j 71 Sahara,j 72Inka tii A4"

had indicated that he in fact needed an increase in the

diameter of the 02 spare tire well and that Carl Nelson had

indicated that a larger diameter well from an E3 or E9 might

be used to give him that additional diameter.

Also, 5% of the original 165/70/13 wheel diameter is close to

1.5" total. And if you had additional tire width (which in

most situations would be the case), this would make the

spare tire ride higher up in the well (thereby pushing the

trunk floor boards up) due to the combination of total width

and the larger diameter tire riding higher up on the transition

radius between the vertical wall and horizontal floor of the

spare tire well.

I am saying that, in my opinion, the E3 and E9 wells would be

a big hassle to fit up and probably not worth the effort.

We clear on this now?

-E

Guest Anonymous

Most modern tires NEVER go flat unless threadbare or you pound a curb or drive through a mess of nails. In that case just throw the regular spare on and drive home. Plus, why spend and additional 20% on tires/wheels just to haul one around in the trunk? If you're gonna do that, then spring for the Continental kit... ;-)