• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any opinions on a plasma cutter?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The tool bug bit me again, since I am working OT this weekend I have to blow it on a tool of some sort : )

So far I am leaning twards the Lincoln Pro-Cut 25

Here is the link for it, it is a little tiny thing but it has some juevos.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=451

Here is a link to the miller SPECTRUM THUNDER, which is a little unit with the compressor built in.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_thunder/

Link to the SPECTRUM 375 CUTMATE, which is a medium-small machine with no air supply.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_375_cutmate/

Guest Anonymous

under the "advantage Lincoln" info it says it has a "60% duty cycle at maximum output" while under the specs at the bottom it says 25-35% duty cycle (so which is it lincoln?)

Man, I'm here to tell you there is little more frustrating that working with a welder/plasma cutter with a shit small duty cycle. It's just plain awful and takes all day. Makes you cut for 2.5 to 3.5 min out of 10 and for 6.5-7.5 min you wonder "what other tool could I use to cut this damn thing and end this frustration?"

I had a marquette 110v 25amp plasma cutter. used it a couple times and sold it. I'll get another when I'm able to afford 240v and closer to 100amp w/80%+ duty cycle.

For the same price a small Plasma rig costs you can buy: an air saw, an air nibbler, an air shear, a oxy acet rig, and a good sawzall, and still have money left over for beer.

"yeah, but they only burn 1/8" of paint..." yeah, how much paint does a airsaw or sawzall burn?

I'm burned out on "home" plasma cutters (pun intended)

Just my 02 cents

Guest Anonymous

they are fun as hell, but totally not worth it. you can probably rent one from a welding shop near you if you really need it for way cheap.

Matt

Guest Anonymous

Heavy diesel mechanic? Plan to chop up a D10? An 80 amp machine should cut 1".

I hear what you are all saying that a little machine can be a nuisance rather than help.

I know how that works; I have a Miller 175 240V mig welder at home, and a buddy of mine has a little 120V Lincoln, my machine is small, but at least it is big enough for anything automotive, or small fabrication, whale the little Lincoln is really only good for sheet metal work.

As for the plasma cutters the little tiny miller has an output of……….12 A at 110 VDC No freaking way I'll buy that one...

Miller Cutmate 375…………27 A at 90 VDC, 35% Duty Cycle

Lincoln Pro-Cut 2….this is weird....25 A at 90 VDC, 35% duty cycle @120 VAC or

25 A at 90 VDC, 60% duty cycle @240 VAC or

20 A at 90 VDC, 100% duty cycle @240 VAC

So if you run it on 120 it has a wimpy duty cycle, and on 240 it is pretty good.

Hypertherm Powermax380 ………27 Amps at 92 VDC, 35% duty cycle

I am going to shop around for a used machine and see what I can find. I would rather have a used 40-50 amp machine than a new 27 amp machine, but it is rare that I ever cut anything over ¼”

Guest Anonymous

trunkbaby2.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/index.html

i rented a lincoln that wouldnt burn through paint on the 120v house circuit. we had 240v but the tool was 120v only. if you are cutting art pieces or other precision-like stuff, then a plasma gun is nice. to cut stuff up, an oxy/acy rig is far more effective and versitile (for welding, etc)

-Rob