• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOT: Question for small business owners...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm researching which inventory/POS/accounting software package would work best for a business I may be getting involved in soon.

The basic needs:

- simple inventory control (meaning it will be a simple inventory)

- point of sale (invoice creation, etc)

- accounting (the basics)

- remove from inventory at POS (database)

- some kind of inventory output that can be posted on a website. (comma seperated file, maybe asp, etc)

Quickbook looks like the best bet, but I was hoping some of you might already be using it or have a business with these requirements.

You can email me directly if you'd like.

Dan

Guest Anonymous

integration.

Quickbooks is easiest to use but easiest is not always best. Quickbooks lets you do anything which is not always a good thing.

The lower end programs like quicken simply quickbooks peachtree are all really weak in the ares DANG described. My bet for them is Simply although I don't know how strong they are on inventory control. Programms like great plains, dynamics, accpac (which also makes simply) and solomon are best.

My advice is to build a custom program for the business or use an existing POS type program for inventory invoices etc and then use GL program for A/P tracking and recognizing revenue.

Most of these programs use ubiquitous formats like DBF, TXT, CSV, delimited ascii and MBD for creation of exports which can be used on web.

Guest Anonymous

Are you going to use a cash register? if yes that will change the whole setup and then you will definetely need some integration with one the packages described below. I used quickbooks, peachtree and simply accounting before and for my needs/test they all try to do too much and nothing is great (IMHO). Later in life I wrote my own (Access, XL). Without knowing what you need, maybe quickbooks to start is your best bet learn all the ins and outs and later customize something. Usually data can be exported and then post it to web fairly easy and viceversa.

HTH

Guest Anonymous

Quickbooks is the simplest and is OK on Inventory control. Great on invoice creation ... will you have backorders?

Quickbooks is $ 300 and the others, like Great Plains are big bucks ...

How big is the business?

I have run 2 manufacturing/distribution companys on Quickbooks very easily.