• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Window Defroster..

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

on a '76 - I searched the archives first, I promise -

Is there anything electrical between the switch and the window (other than wires, of course) that could have gone out on me? I swear it worked last Fall (albeit not well, by modern standards) - any troubleshooting tips on this thing?

Thanks,

John

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/840.html

Well, I would suggest pulling the leads on the rear window and checking if u have power there. I believe the circuit is fused, check your fuses. But more likely that the grid no longer has continuity. You can check that.

If u are lucky, you might find a broken grid section and be able to repair it with nickel print (see link!) but I doubt it!

Cheers,

Ray

Guest Anonymous

from tab to tab when the switch is on and continuity all around on the glass. Therefore, I am hoping to find a relay or some little electrical "black box" that's related which is limiting the current. Otherwise, with good conductivity, assuming proper grounding, I don't understand why it won't work. Can I have connectivity in the glass which isn't good ENOUGH?

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

There is no relay or timer -- only ingition switch, Fuse 3, defroster switch, and glass. What do you mean by "continuity all around the glass"? And why do you think it's not working? I betcha lunch all your defroster lines are kaput. To test:

1. Key on and defroster switch on.

2. Voltmeter negative lead on one tab.

3. Verify 12 volts with voltmeter positive lead on other tab.

4. Touch positive lead to middle of bottom line. Should be about 6 volts. If 12 or zero volts, line is broken. Move lead along line. Break is at point where voltage jumps from 12 to zero or vice versa.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Curt, I will undoubtedly owe you lunch. Now an crchive search here for Rear Window Defroster will net the "good stuff" - test procedure, repair products, etc. I also solved my problem in the mornings by parking in the garage. And after work, everybody's lights are on so I can drive OK with a foggy window. It's a summertime car, that's what I keep forgetting.