• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30 M3 Starter

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Tii Gladwyne IV.jpg

Hi I have decided to take the plunge and have ordered my new starter. This after 6 months of a really weak stock unit came to a head here in Phila Monday morning when my Tii would not turn over and I subsequently flooded it. This at 5:30AM in the cold and dark.

My question is the correct procedure for installation for a Tii. I know the job is not hard for a carbed car but removal of the throttle linkage and air box are a must. Do any Tii owners have a documentation on this on a website? Thanks.

nf

'73 Tii

'73 '02

'90 535i

Guest Anonymous

I referenced it when I did mine a few weeks ago. Some additional points, the top bolt that goes through the transmission into the starter is a real bear. The nut is the big problem. If yours is not stuck real bad, a large flat bladed screwdriver pried between a flat spot on the nut and the block may help free it as you rotate the head of the bolt. A wrench just does not want to fit in there. However, on reinstall, since the M3 is smaller, a long rachet extension with a swivel reaches it easily. I have also seen a hex cap head bolt work in there to.

Also, the link does not specifically say, but implied, to but the bracket that supports the throttle body back on. I suggest you reinstall it for the sake of your throttle body. The M3 starter is shorter than the stock starter and will not hit that bracket. You can see that in one of the shots on the link if you look carefully.

The other problem....your car now sounds like an E30 starting!