• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question re. rear shock bottom mounting point: Has

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

..anyone come up with a good bracket to support the end of the stud that the rear shock mounts to? The car that I'm working on has coil-overs. I'm going to replace the existing stud with a very tough 1/2" diameter stud (with a 5/8" spline) and I want to fabricate some sort of bracket to support the end of the stud. The goal is to have a strong mounting point for the bottom of the coil-over assembly - obviously the original shock mount was not intended to support the weight of the car.

Another issue: what to use for a bushing for the shock so that the eye at the bottom of the shock will accept the 1/2" stud. Thanks in Advance. - Larry

Guest Anonymous

as far as reinforcement, i'd look at what other racers have done. go thru the photo sections at rfly and look.

"what to use for a bushing for the shock so that the eye at the bottom of the shock will accept the 1/2" stud."

you should be able to pick up some eurathane shock eyelets from most any speed shop w/a 1/2 (13mm) hole.

or you may be able to drill out the old ones (freeze them, use a "sharp" bit spinning fast w/low feed rate)

Guest Anonymous

alltogether_sm.jpg

When I did my coilovers, I used 323 euro trailing arms and made my own "double sheer" shock tabs. Not very applicable to an 02 swing arm if you are using the existing mounting point.

As far as the bushings go howerver, my coilovers came with a nylon bushing w/ metal inner sleeve. That part would be easy to duplicate.

Guest Anonymous

..job on your car. I also have a 1978 E21 320i. Have not seen a rear E21 swaybar setup like yours. Where did the swaybar come from? Just curious.