• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 FAQ Forum

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

To all members,

Thank you all for allowing me to post and be a part of your group for the past few hours..... I hope you have enjoyed the pictures and description from my EBay auction of the 1974 BMW 2002 Turbo. I must apoligise to each of you for allowing myself to not only start, but be drawn into a war of words with one of your members and using this Forum to vent some of my anger on unfounded statements about me and the Turbo. This is not the place for such childish behavior as mine. My name is Jimmy Baker and I live in northeast Alabama (Fort Payne) and can be found with relative ease.....if you are ever in the south please look me up..... especially if you are driving an old Bimmer.... it will surely make my day to show you some genuine southern hospitality !!!!!

I will visit from time to time and read a few strings....... but this will be my last post (except for the pics of the drivers side of the Turbo).... please see my opinions below of one of your regular contributers....... life is too short to have to tolerate the stress imposed by such ignorance and self rightousness. If you ever see a CSL in the south it is proably me... be sure and say hello and introduce yourself. If you do not agree with my positions then knock me up the side of the head with a stick.... just don't go away without saying hello !!!!

It has surely been a pleasure, Be Safe, Jimmy

Guest Anonymous

You just found this board and the first time you post to it you got jumped on by one "______". You have been around, know a lot, have a lot of excellent support from others here and this forum needs people with your experince. You are obviously a big time old BMW car nut. Get your turbo sold (for full asking price to a very happy buyer), try to pull yourself off the ceiling, cool off and come back to talk '02's with us.

Guest Anonymous

After reading all the posts, it seems to me F1reverb kinda got off

on the wrong foot and his comments came out as accusations. But

the worst was that he didn't back down or say sorry. Dimples!

Give me a brake. If you had to explane every ripple, wave or funny

spot weld to a person who isn't going to buy the car in the first

place, where would we all be in this world? BTW I have seen

bunches of 02 with straight mettle in the area and I have seen

them with the bends too. Makes no difference. Obviously the car

is mint and desirable.

john

Guest Anonymous

Too bad too. Lots of very cool folks have quit visiting this and Roadfly due to the in-fighting. I guess that's inevitable when you put a bunch of people who are knowledgeable about a very specific topic in one room. A lot of one upmanship-my shit is stuff and your stuff is shit mentality. I can't say that I'm immune to this either, but I choose to stay for the people I like, not leave for the very few people I don't like. Also, you are at the top of the food chain in this crowd. Naturally there will be jealousy. Ignore it. I, for one, would continue to hear your input with enthusiasm. Best of luck with the sale of the Turbo and future endeavors.

Guest Anonymous

I followed the exchange regarding dimples and creases on the Turbo on eBay. I felt that the exchange was healthy and focused on the car and everyone refrained from getting personal. (Until Jimmy's last post.)

I came out more informed and appreciated this board and the maturity of its members.

So, Jimmy, I hope you did not just barge in to advertise your Turbo and get out. Several members here who knew you were supportive of your position and were vouching for your integrity. But I can tell you that I know Jay, and he knows what he's talking about. Yes, he's critical, analytical and opinionated but I can vouch for his integrity and his knowledge of these cars. Furthermore, his observations were well founded and he never attacked you personally. He tried to explain IN DETAIL why these creases appear and no one was able to find an alternative explanation. (Sorry, but putting your body weight on it would cause a different type of distorsion.)

You even admitted that you did not know where the dimple came from. How much of a hit does the car need to create such a crease? Jay never made a claim on the severity of the hit. Maybe it only takes a little parking lot tap???

If I were a potential buyer of a Turbo, I feel that I can make a better decision on buying it, until I read your last post. It was healthy to read the different opinions on what causes these dimples, but the topic should have remained about the cars, not people.

Guest Anonymous

I personally don't care about dimples. They will not make me buy or not buy a car. I follow the 50-50 rule. (It's got to look good from 50 feet at 50 MPH)But I can not ignore the fact that it is important to others, especially the high dollar Q-tip croud. Some want unmolested originality, some want exclusivity, some want performance, some want cosmetics, some want perfect restoration, and most of us want some combination of some of these.

Variety is a spice of life. Pick your spice and let others choose theirs.

Guest Anonymous

ass_shot500.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/index.html

some time! there are definitely a bunch of perticular petes on this and other boards. quick to jump on defects and make fun of sellers on ebay. the fuckin cars are 25+ years old, and have been entusiast pieces from the beginnning. that means they get worked over, worked on, and etc... everyone should lighten up, maybe!! ;p

-Rob

Birmingham, AL

Guest Anonymous

highly knowledgeable about vintage BMWs take themselves out of circulation.

I hadn't looked at the e-Bay auction or the photos until just now. Making the assumption that the "dimples" that appear to be at the core of the issue are the slight bends in the top surface of the radiator core support at the junction with the inner rails, for what it's worth, my totally original 69 has the same little bends or kinks on both sides, along with a bit of paint delamination in that area.

I've always figured that the bends were a side effect of chassis flex over an extended period (there are a lot of strut tower braces sold for a reason....). If it happens on a street car that's never seen any track time or autocrossing, it would sure make sense for it to happen on a turbo...........

Anyhow, we DO hope to see you back.

Guest Anonymous

Jimmy, sorry to see this happen.

I'll admit to being one of those picky types, but the photos of your car looked damn good. I've seen the dimples happen on stock 2002s that weren't driven hard as well as cars that hed been driven hard. To imply that the car was hit in the front without further personal investigation is a bit, errr, irresponsible.

Unfortunately ebay seems to have become a popular place for people to attempt to sell cars that aren't quite what they say they are. I've been suprised at the number of people on these forums who are quick to accept what a less than honest or knowledgeable seller says at face value, even if doesn't seem realistic. The resulting confusion and inaccuracy makes these forums less fun to read through.

Hopefully someone from this forum will buy your car!

vince

Guest Anonymous

posted of my car last year because,'the light was too bright and I had a utility wire in the background.' I wasn't posting to win a prize or claiming to be a pro photographer. These type folks are left best ignored.