• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strut removal?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is it possible to remove the front strut cartridges without actually removing the strut from the lower suspension components?

Thanks

Pete

Guest Anonymous

16-3757063.JPG

And you may end up banging and dinging your fender (happened to me 8 years ago). Just remove the 3 nuts at the bottom of the strut. The one with the safety wire.

THis way, you do not have to remove the steering nuckle ball joints.

Guest Anonymous

Yes you can. Remove the sway bay link then cut 3 pieces of 1/4" fuel hose about 2" long to slip over the 3 studs on the strut bearing before you slip it out from under the fender lip to prevent scratching, then step on the end of the of the drag strut and guide it out from under the fender.....Marty....

Guest Anonymous

Loosen the big bolt for the lower control arm inner pickup at the subframe (and also separate the stab bar end link).

With the tension off the control arm bush, it takes much less effort to push the the strut down and out of the fender well.

Guest Anonymous

You still need a spring compressor. You still need to support the vehicle. What do you gain by not disconnecting the track arm, tie rod end and steering arm?

Guest Anonymous

in finishing the job. yes, you need compressors to remove/replace stock springs, but lowering springs like my st's and h&r's need no compressor to install on the front.

all you have to do is remove the sway bar and the three on top and then use little finesse and a helper to push down on the hub. cover the wheel arch to prevent paint damage. voila

done it, it works. first side took about 1.5 hours, second side took a half hour. invaluable help from Tkent02. thanks, bud.

robert

Guest Anonymous

I've only disassembled a stock strut once, but this is how I remove the much shorter struts in the race car. May or may not work with a stock length unit. Remove the caliper, remove the three bolts connecting the base of the strut to the steering arm and remove the bearing at the top. No need to mess with the sway bar, tie rods, etc and it's much easier to disasseble the strut on a bench than in the car.