• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I pick up my car on Monday!!!!!!(nt)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

... that Jay posted for his firend? Well, that's what I

got. Sahara, original paint in good condition. Not

an original tii, but converted. It needs tires which I'll

take care of on Monday when I pick it up.

Any suggestions for tires?

Guest Anonymous

patch for her? The only real rust in Corine's Sahara is in the

spare tire well... which is basically bottomless now... can't

even put the spare in the well or it'll fall out on to the road.

-E

Guest Anonymous

Hello my dear. I almost bought that car a couple of weeks ago. I brought my recently acquired '76 2002 to the shop where your Sahara is. In a fit of madness, I bought a '67 1600 that was there instead, and will now sell the '76.

Your Sahara tii conversion is certainly a lot prettier than the cosmetically challenged '67 I bought. The interior in your car is gorgeous! The spare tire well on your car is certainly in need of replacement. I need one too, and Double 02 Salvage in Hayward said they have decent ones for about $100 if I recall correctly.

So why did I pick up this somewhat rusted, dented Pacific Blue 1600 instead of your lovely '74 Sahara, and why have I decided it's a keeper when my '76 has virtually no rust and a nice interior? I mentioned my madness, but also, because the 1600 is very special. It's one of the earliest cars in the U.S., and I bought it from the original owner. It had all service records going back to 1967. In the late '80s and through the mid '90s, it received a transformation in the form of drivetrain, suspension and brakes. It's got a '72 tii engine, Schrick 292 cam, Stahl header, 320i electronic ignition, 320i overdrive 5 speed, 3.91 limited slip differential, camber correction plates, adjustable subframe, adjustable swaybars, Bilsteins, upgraded brakes, 320i radiator, trunk mounted battery, close ratio steering box, 14" bottlecaps, yadda yadda. The previous owner spared no expense in the conversion; for example, the engine was built by a reputable builder, the trans and diff were new (no junkyard parts).

Now, who can direct me to a S.F. Bay Area body shop that won't quote me $12,000 to fix it? (I actually got that quote from an Oakland shop on Friday.)

Richard

'00 M5

'88 M3

'76 2002 for sale soon

'67 1600/2002tii

Guest Anonymous

The reason they quoted you $12,000 is that they don't want your business. They have enough insurance work to make that not worthwhile. Keep shopping around, and find a decent shop with some spare time for your project so they can give you a reasonable quote.

I learned this shopping around for a body shop for our car.

-Patrick