• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How I almost got killed.......... or my car at the minimum

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I don't know how to start cause I'm really wigged out right now... Got some new tires put on my car today and got a full alignment done on my car... so I'm like driving home and the car seems to be aligned pretty well... slight vibration but only at like 15-20mph and then it goes away... the car was like 20x better than it was... much happier, so I'm getting ready for a daytona trip tommorrow... and I'm fixing my exhaust... the pipe came loose from the collector and I've been driving on open header for like 2 weeks... I put off fixing it cause I'm lazy.... so anyway god works in weird ways cause I'm under the car putting in the last two turns of the last bolt... and I just happen to glance up... noticing a stud in the centerlink.... yeah isn't that supposed to have a nut on it... and a cotter pin holding it in.... (looking at the tie rod end) so I look at the other end of the tie rod... oh look it's barelygot a nut on it.. and there's 1/2" between it and anything remotly close to tighten against... no cotter pin... about 3 threads left to go then it would have been released to the wild... needless right before I'm about to drive 300 miles.. I notice that there's no NUTS ON MY TIE ROD ENDS... NOTHING HOLDING THEM ON!! I drove 35 miles home like that today... at 65-70mph on remote 2 lane country road.. if that rod would have come loose I think it would have been the end of me... or atleast the car.. images of rolovers and spinouts into the trees are running through my head... needless if someone does anywork to your car... spoof over every inch of it cause you never know when they're slackin..

party on

Kris

Guest Anonymous

it doesn't seem like one was done as nuts not on the ends could mean they fell=off long before it got to your tire joint, as that could hardly be missed on a lift. I'd check every nut/bolt on your car before taking your trip. Owners make better mechanics because we give a damn.

Guest Anonymous

tlc and I found some sad looking cotter pins a wheel bearing with some serious play. Some other shit that the PO did, this guy was a rock all kinds of things istalled wrong or even bent to make fit. Thats the reason I do all my own work.

Guest Anonymous

head off first thing Monday morning (and if the response from the shop was not suitable, I'd probably be on the phone to the Bureau of Automotive Repair immediatly afterwards in hopes of saving somebody from getting killed....)

Guest Anonymous

Inner Tie rod was missing a nut because he used a ballpeen

hammer to get it out and mushroomed the threads on the end...

Outter one has a nut only half tight... no cotterpin... Drivers side

wheel was LOOOSE!! yeah dad said I had a bent rim what it looked

like... so I looked it over.... nope the WHEEL WAS LOOSE what a

bunch of clownshoes... BUT I GOT TO DAYTONA TODAY!!! IT WAS

PIMP LAP AROUND THE TRACK... wait till you see the best part :)