• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi folks....need your help.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a '73 02 that is my daily driver that I am doing a "rolling restoration" on. A couple of things have come up that I could use your insight and advice on:

1) I also have a '71 parts/donor car that I recently pulled the front control arms off of thinking that I would rebush them and drop them onto the '73. Problem is that the ones on my '73 are much bigger and "beefier". I can't find anything in my books that says they were changed along the way. Does anyone know ?

2) The car has a single Weber on an E12 head, electronic ingnition, a mild cam, and a tii exhaust manifold, and while reasonably "peppy" up to about 80mph @ 3700rpm, it justs "hits a wall" at that point. Starts to sputter and miss and will just not go any faster. I'm thinking carbs jets, fuel delivery, ignition curve .... etc., but just not sure where to start. Any thoughts?

3) The car appears to have a non-stock diff but I have not been able to access the part # to make sure. Problem is that the output flanges keep drifting out of the diff case. I have to get under about once a month and tap them back in about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Thinking that the bolts might be broken or missing, I undid a CV joint one day for a look and found that there wasn't even a hole for a bolt!. Does it sound like I might have a later 320 diff with LS that needs the circlips inside to hold the flanges in place. If I have to open it up, how difficult will it be to fix this?

I've enjoyed reading the message board and have gotten lots of good tips from the site. Thanks for any input you might have.

Guest Anonymous

1) not sure, too new myself

2) sounds like carb (as long as there are not muf-tailpipe blockages ie.bent tubes etc)

3) sounds like 320 diff w/o spacers installed. you can get these from several diff suppliers (TEP, Ireland i think etc)

best of luck with it

Guest Anonymous

The smaller control arms have been replaced by the beefier ones early in the seventies. They are interchangeable without any problem. My 1969 2002 had the small ones, and I replaced them with the newer parts.

Guest Anonymous

1. They were changed sometime, I ran into the same thing, go wide if you can otherwise stay with same size side to side.

2. I would do a compression check and look at the electrical first, 90% of the time the problem lies there.

3. The output flanges may need that .250 spacer if someone did a lsd conversion from a 320. The spacer can be placed on either end of the half shafts. Ireland or TEP carries them.

Guest Anonymous

OK, thanks. I figured that might be the case. Think I'll just put the new bushings into the bigger arms and be done with it. I was just hoping to do it off the car and save some skin on knuckles!

Guest Anonymous

1. Those are tii control arms, all '02s got them eventually. If you haven't bought the bushings already, get new control arms - they come with new bushings. Changing the bushings is a a pain, you'll need to contrive devices that exert high forces to do it.

2. That brick wall may be tune up related. Check filters and compression, adjust the valves, change out the ignition parts, check carb settings (in that order). If that doesn't solve it, go to Roadfly and get Creighton's Weber jetting prescription. Lots of people over there like the results.

3. Don't know much about that one. That sounds like a 320 diff, '02 diff flanges are bolted on.