• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Grill Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

panviewsmall.jpg

URL: http://www.winnsecurity.com/norcal02

Early = up to and including 1973 had metal grilles, the REALLY early ones were entirely chrome without the black slats.

Late = '74 '75 '76, these are plastic and the entire front clip is different to accomodate them, and the square bumper mounts.

It has nothing to do with options, but if you see a round tail light 02 with plastic grilles up front, or a square light with metal up front, the car went through some plastic surgery at a bodyshop.

Guest Anonymous

All 2002s had black slats with two metal per side (through '73) and all-black plastic ('74+). Very early 2002s (though mid-'69, I think) had black-painted slats, while later cars had anodized aluminum covers.

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

YES! Thanks for the info. I knew the late models had the plastic black, but the whole body shop thing crossed my mind on the few small bumpers with black plastic that I have seen. Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

panviewsmall.jpg

URL: http://www.winnsecurity.com/norcal02

I know that people have done it, so it may not be a whole new front clip on an early car just because it has plastic grilles and small bumpers. Probably the best way to know is by the rear lights, never heard of anybody switching between the two, way too much work, and pointless. But any of those changes are rare anyway.

-Justin

2002sig.gif

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

the early cars, 1600s had all silver grills. The early 2002s, all had black slats over silver grills with 2 grill lines left silver each side. Until 1974, in the usa, when BMW went to all black plastic grills. In europe, all bets are off because they did not adhere to year/model trim like the usa delivered cars. There are early 02s in europe with all black plastic grills. Maybe it was owner done, but i have seen pics in old books that indicate the europeans were going all plastic before 1974. anyway., there are 2 types of silver and black grills for usa: deep bucket and shallow bucket( anount of chrome around headlight). Shallow are very hard to find( i have these on my 72)No idea when these were stock supplied, or why. deep are more plentiful. Deep cost 312$ list per side, if you an find them. Shallow are available for decent prices from Jaymic in England( a source for just about everything unobtaineum). oh ya and then there are the 4 light plastic grills...... if you need any help finding stuff drop me an email- i know about some grills.

Guest Anonymous

through the end of '73 production. The parts book has the VIN switchover number. At that point they also changed the headlight inner retainer rim from asmyetric to symetric--the latter like the 74-76 rims except they're chrome vs black.

New MT grilles are all silver (paint or add appliques as necessary) but only with deep headlight surrounds.

Cheers

Mike