• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM air cleaner bottom plate for Webers update...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

I took the pieces to the chop and cleaned them and then placed the cut-out on a sheet of paper and traced the cutout portion. I then took my cool-as -hell digital micrometer and measured every space on the metal and placed those measurenments in the tracing spaces. . Of course, i left all my stuff, including my camera and drawing, at the chop last night. anyway, i will have a useable drawing with measurements so you can replicate asap. If everyone who does this sends me 10 bucks( secretly ala Soupy Sales telling the kids to take a buck from wallet and send to station), you will all feel better and i will be able to paint the Sahara. win-win, lol. I hope the measurements and drawing are useful. In combination with the pictures i took, it should be realtively easy to do .I think Dan will Host the whole thing. I dont have links yet. Will also submit to FAQ .

Guest Anonymous

I CUT A ROUND DISC FROM ALUMINIZED STEEL

( WELDS GREAT ) AND SPOT WELDED IT TO THE

MODIFIED AIR CLEANER .

I USED A SINGLE BARREL SMALL AIR CLEANER ON MINE .

Guest Anonymous

Having the valve cover vent run straight to the carb throat always seemed like a dumb move on BMW's part as well as all the aftermarket Weber filters I've seen. Like most older US carbureted cars, I run the vent to a spot in the filter housing at a location on the outside of the air filter element. Then add a small coarse filter (the type designed for this application - Fram is available everywhere) to catch any blow-by oil vapors. Carb stays cleaner - happy engine. Of course, you must then plug the original air cleaner vent hole.

Guest Anonymous

TRACE THE PATTERN WITH A SHARPIE PEN & CUT TO THE LINE .

THEN FILE TO FIT THE CARB . I THINK I USED 18 GAUGE .

ANY LOCAL SHEET METAL SHOP HAS PLENTY OF SCRAP THEY WILL SELL CHEAP OR PROBABLY GIVE YOU .

IF YOU PLAN TO WELD , ( SPOT OR OTHERWISE ) DON'T USE

GALVANIZED ! IT WELDS HORRIBLY & THE FUMES WILL MAKE YOU SICK .

Guest Anonymous

1. remove OEM air cleaner from car--don't cut anything yet

2. make a paper template of the Weber carb top that reveals the outside edge of the carb throat opening as well as the edge of the flange (where the four air cleaner mounting screws go)

3. With the Weber on the car, position the air cleaner so that the mounting brackets line up, and roughly mark the inside of the air cleaner "floor" so that it'll show about where the Weber opening should be.

4. Start trimming with tin snips, Dremel tool etc to get a rough opening. When it's roughed out, place the paper template so that it lines up with the carb top, and do some final trimming. Make sure choke linkage doesn't jam.

5. Get some closed cell foam and make a gasket to seal the carb to the air cleaner, using the paper template as a pattern.

6. Bolt air cleaner to its rubber mounts. You're done. And there's no need to cut out the dome-shaped section in the air cleaner's center.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

air cleaner off. Just install the Weber first so you'll cut the air cleaner correctly and get the foam gasket the correct thickness.

Mike