• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Line Question/Survey

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am about to put my car back together after doing all of the body work and painting. Here's the question; do you all think I should replace the plastic fuel line with steel and if so, should I run it where it currently goes or go under the car? I would like to see everyone's opinion on this. Also re-mounting the battery in the trunk. Should I run that through or under the car? Seen it done both ways.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Leave the plastic fuel lines on. They're better that the metal ones, just check to see there is no damage. Send the battery to the trunk. Run the cable on the inside. Remember to add grommets when going thru panels. Can also use pieces of good garden hose.

Guest Anonymous

Replace lines. run in stock locations.

Move battery to trunk. go thru people tank, using gromets & good wiring proceedure etc.

Guest Anonymous

Keep stock fuel line if they are in good shape and run the battery cable under the car clipped to the old fuel return line retainers. But what ever you do add a fuse at the battery......Marty....

Guest Anonymous

The plastic fuel line is designed to collapse and seal itself it heated to near ignition, so it's perfectly safe to run thru the car. What ISN'T safe is to replace it with rubber fuel hose inside the car. I've never had any problems with my plastic lines in 34 years--even when my welding instructor melted about four inches of line while showing me how to weld up the rocker panels. The line sealed as advertised, no fire resulted--even tho upholstery ignited. Leave it alone if it's in good shape.

IMHO

Mike

Guest Anonymous

If there is enough fire to melt the fuel line inside the cab then you have other problems. Namely fire inside the cab. At what point would the line self sealing really be of benefit? If there is enough heat to melt it you're already toast.

Guest Anonymous

.....unless you have some really high flow demand-that's

altogether different. But, I suspect you're going M10 stock or

mild upgrades. I too, have melted the blue stuff with a welder-

dohh! It works. Don't mess with it. Battery under back seat is

my vote-Hawker sla. Very light and small-easily fits under

back seat. No gases to worry about, less weight, no need to

fudge a sturdy trunk mount. I ran my battery cable through the

passenger rocker-very clean and easy, but you have to drill a

7/8 hole in the kick panel and grommet it . I have pics if you

want.