• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii fuel pump?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

74 tii *** After driving for 30 mins the motor shuts off and then back on, continuely get worst. After setting and cooling it will run fine for another 30 mins. I have found no evedence of vapor lock. I think it is the fuel pump. Any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

Big clogging in fuel filters:

a) on the core support next to the radiator. Turn it upside down in a glass jar and very carefully blow air the opposite direction of the flow... what comes out... black junk? could be rubber fuel line degrading and creating sediment. orange junk? rust in the tank most likely.

B) In the fuel tank. Take the fuel pickup out of the tank in the trunk (has two hoses attached) and look at the screen/filter on the bottom of the pickup. Clean that thoroughly, look down in the tank and check for varnish and rust floating around.

Those are the two places that most likely have enough crud inducing power to stall your engine. My car had the same problem early on. It had both rust in the tank and bad, degrading 25+ year old rubber fuel lines.

Those two things are the low hanging fruit of trouble. You can also upgrade to a later model 318is fuel filter to replace your TII one which has about 3x the amount of filtering material. That saved me for a while...

Good luck!

Keith

'74tii - Stella

http://www.my2002tii.com

Guest Anonymous

designed to hold the 60 PSI or so your pump puts out (can you say engine fire?) and the filter element will disentegrate and plug things up.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

Ask me how I know....The filter at the end of the pickup will become clogged and then unclog itself when the car is turned off. If you own a Tii and intend to keep it cleaning out the tank is a Really good idea......

Guest Anonymous

MVC-009S.JPG&target=tlx_new

my car just got over similar problem- the gummed pick-up burnt out the first new pump, which uses the fuel as coolant. luckily my mechanic has a good relationship with his parts supplier, who accepted his warranty claim.

lesson learned, spent the $85 to have the tank professionally cleaned. well worth it.

hth

robert