• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flooded 02 follow up

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

First of all - THANK YOU for all the different insights - yes, indeed each opinion contains some real thruths, but through personal contact - I can tell you this guy is no fat cat Dentist or other ultra-income type.

He just has the same freak passion we all have - but indeed - having agreed value on a car for about HALF the investment in it, is his own fault - but most would agree - trying to insure ANY old BMW for more than $10-15 is usually followed by hysterical laughter by the insurance co - and a dialtone....even with the good folks at some specialty insurance companies, this is often the case. Could I insure Emily for the $26K+ I have in it????? HA! (and only about 30% of that is labor for the paint and welding work.)

Our plan at the shop - pending the owner's final decision, to completely disassemble the car - inside and out. Remove, power wash, and rebuild front and rear subframes - THEN have the rockers, frame rails, and shock towers cut open - replaced as needed and or rinsed - to ENSURE the poor thing won't crumble in the coming months or few years underneath it's still shiny paint.

Like a few of you - I busted my ass for 6 years to build my dream 02 - working 3 jobs, doing all the mechanical work myself - and STILL managed to go SUBSTANTIALLY over the $20K mark. Sure - I DETEST just about ALL open checkbook restorations....they lack REAL value on my personal Karma-O-Meter - but the owner of this car is not yer average rich fat cigar chompin' SOB.

I'll see if I can set up something easy for anyone interested in donating parts and / or funds.

Thanks again - for EVERY viewpoint and opinion....I agreee with all of you to varying degrees surely!

Paul

Guest Anonymous

Even though salt water is hard to remove, I do not think you will need to cut the rockers. Here is what I would do.

First, the car needs to be stripped and washed in depth with lot of pressurized water. If I remember, from inside the car, there are holes that access the rockers. Use pressurized water into the rocker boxes to remove any residual salt. Then when the shell has dried, spray the cavities with rustproofing oil.

My guess is that even the electrical harness can be saved by leaving it in water for a day, so that salt dissolves. I do not think that lotsa money is required, just tons of hours. It is gonna be a labor of love. A 2002 is easy to take apart. I am pretty sure that a bunch of friends can do the job in two or three weekends.

And don't be cheap on fresh water...

Guest Anonymous

You might consider dumpining the shell in a swimming pool. Maybe the clourine will neutralize the salt.

You really should take it to one of the acid dip places and drop it in the neutralizing tank.

Or take all those expensive hard parts and put them on another shell.

Guest Anonymous

FLOOD IT!! Water is your buddy now... fresh, non-salty water... id drench her, and drench her, and drench the poor ol gal again, and again... hell, freshwater is NOTHING next to the osama-bin-freshwater she's already been drenched with. take out the seats, carpet, engine, diffy, tranny, d/s, and DRENCH the rest. get a nice portable tv and a hose with a pistol-grip thingie... sit there for a day or two and HOSE her down. maybe eat some frenchfries to attract the salt away. stupid hurricanes!! ;)

-Rob