• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a reasonable charge for upholstery work?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My driver's seat has a rip, and I bought a rear seat cover that matches the material in order to repair it. I took the car to a local upholstery shop, and they said they would charge me $100 to sew in that panel. This is assuming that I disassemble the seat and bring in the cover separately, and supply the material to patch it. This seems pretty steep to me, but I have never had any upholstery work done before.

-Matt

Guest Anonymous

Especially that you have to take the seat apart yourself, and that you also bring your own material. That means no downtime for them for searching the proper vinyl or taking the seat apart.

Even including fresh piping on that section, I would think it is twice the regular price. I am pretty sure you can find a much better price...

Guest Anonymous

Time to shop around, I guess. I also gotta find a source for Canuck Al's suggestions of materials for replacing the horsehair (for smell and support reasons), they hadn't heard of 'bottomskin foam' either.

Guest Anonymous

fae043db.jpg

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

You have cushions, and then you have a layer of "sew foam", which is stitched to the upholstery, before the covers are installed. The good, imported scrimback foam is expensive, but works great. You probably didn't get good scrimback, which is just one of a few reasons why a proper seat resto can get expensive. Like I said though, as long as you're happy....

Al