• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anybody cut off the top of the shifter stick

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

to make it a "short shift". I was just wondering...

may be a dumb thing to do, but why not? It sure

feels shorter when I grab it below the shift knob...

TIA

Michael

Guest Anonymous

off making the section below the pivot ball longer. The problem is that the bottom of the shift lever _barely_ clears the driveline, so you need to elevate the entire shift mechanism.

Big PITA, but worth it (IMHO of course). If you've put a 5-speed in with the 320i shift lever, a later style 2002 shift lever will give you a shorter shift without all the above trouble.

HTH,

John N

Guest Anonymous

The new one stuck up to high so I cut off the top of the shift rod. Now it is a lttle bit lower overall but there is no real decrease in shift throw.

Guest Anonymous

4-7908023.JPG

I had the 5 speed put in and for some reason it looked higher then before. So I cut mine at the bottom of the threads. It doesnt do much for the "throw" of the shifts, but it does look a whole lot better. Good luck

Guest Anonymous

And ys, it works well. The only critic I would have, ater a long term test, is that the shifter is upright and straight. I wish it had that little curve toward the rear...