• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Norris 301 Cam Questions (long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a chance to pick a NOS Norris 301 cam. My 1974 2002 has a Pertronix/MSD/Blue Coil, a Weber DFAV 40/40, and a soon to be installed TII exhaust manifold. Would this cam be a good match, or is it too much cam for a daily driver ? I see that Norris is still in business, mostly doing Small Block Chevy cams. Does anyone know anything about Norris, pro or con ? Any ideas on the HP increase if I decide to have it installed ? TIA!!!

Jerry

1974 2002 Verona

Guest Anonymous

The idle was really not too bad with that cam. Low end power was ok, it wasn't really too bad for street use. I haven't degreed mine or anything, but I can say it feels less aggressive than a 292 schrick, so I have my doubts as to how numericaly accurate the "301" rating is. They are definitely regrinds though, the lobe base circle is even with the rest of the shaft.

Matt

Maximillian Importing

Guest Anonymous

worshipbmw.gif

Regrinds usually have some where around stock lift so they try

and make performance with enhanced duration cause if you can't

open the valve farther then open it longer.. this works to a point..

going schrick is really the way to go.. party on

Kris

Guest Anonymous

I had one of these in my tii for a number of years and liked it for both street and track. Idle somewhat lumpy but not bad. Made power at 4000 rpm and up, will benefit from higher compression ratios. It had some effect with 9.0:1, and came alive with 9.5:1 pistons. With the 9.5:1's I dynoed at 126 hp at the rear wheels on the tii. (No porting or electronic ignition, just the cam and pistons.) I have the cam specs somewhere, have been told it is more like a Schrick 285. Lash caps are required. If you have the money, or really want a true 301 cam, schrick is the way to go. However, the Norris 301 is a fine cam for low-cost HP improvement.

Fred '73tii '74 track car