• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q: '74 short bumper kit

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Disadvantages:

1. You have to cut/destroy NLA rubber bellows and fillers to make it look right

2. Still have weight/bulk of bumpers themselves and the metal reinforcements built into the car but without the shock-absorbing protection (which is their main--perhaps only--redeeming feature)

3. Still not as attractive as a small bumper conversion

Just my opinion--the small gains in appearance and weight savings don't make sense to me here. But these cars are as much individuals as their owners, so do what you like best!

Tim

'76 2002, big bumpers and all

'03 Golf

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the quick replies.

I agree with the looks and have always preferred the chrome ones over the BIG RUBBER bumps. What about a conversion to the little bumpers. Seems troublesome finding nice chrome bumpers and then performing the switch. Any web sites detailing this conversion?

(I tried a search on the FAQ, very slow and nothing came up)

Guest Anonymous

I converted my '75 to small bumpers for a while. The rear is easy as the holes to mount the chromes are there on the big-bumper cars behind a plastic plug. Then there are just some trim holes to either fill, or weld, or cover up, or whatever. Front is more of a PIA because the hole for the bumper shocks is not quite at the right height so you have to cut slots in the nose for the small-bumper brackets (plus you're left with this odd square opening in the nose panel). Indentations are already in the frame rails for the mounting bolts but you do have to drill them out first.

You can find the chrome bumpers if you look for a while on ebay and in the classifieds...quality/appearance will be directly proportionate to your ability to spend a lot of cash. You could get presentable (OK chrome, a divot or two) pieces for maybe $400 for the F/R set? Totally depends on the market/supply&demand at the time you're buying as well as how patient you are.

If I was doing this again, and I was converting a 2002 that was nice but not really nice, I'd find a chrome bumper with short ends for the rear, pull the front bumper and get a spoiler that'll cover the bumper shock holes. Do like MarkNY did and use the bumper shock holes to mount fog light brackets.

Hope this is helpful!

TIm

'76 2002

'03 Golf

Guest Anonymous

Rear_Bumper2.jpg

Old school bumpers would be much cooler, but if you keep the

big'uns, I'd definitely shorten them. Pretty easy to do. If you need

more info on how to do it, shoot me and email.