• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4.10 Limited Slip matched with 5 spd conversion question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is there any possible way to match the stock long neck 4.10 (improved to be limited slip) to a 5 speed conversion ?

Or is there a stock short neck 4.10 limited slip diff made at all by bmw ?

TIA

Guest Anonymous

ryan_phelps.jpg

Just shorten the longneck drive shaft and you should be in good shape...I have been told you can take the Shortneck 4.11:1 open diff and put the gears in the 3.91:1 320i LSD. I haven't tried it yet but will do so this winter!!!

Ryan

68 02

Guest Anonymous

I do not believe that 4.10 LSD were made by BMW. It they were, there are very rare.

The solution is to take a 4.10 gear set from a 1600 with a short neck, or even an E30 318 and fit it in an LSD case, most commonly from an E21, or a 2002 lSD which are much more rare.

Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

ryan_phelps.jpg

I think some 69's and all 70 1600's had shortnecks...The shortneck 4.11 I have is out of a 70 and I will put those gears into my 3.91 LSD out of an 82 320is

Ryan

68 02

Guest Anonymous

I don't know about stock BMW, but 4:10 short neck limited slip

differentials are nothing new to 2002s. They can be built from

the E-21 3:90 using the possibly nla, but readily available

4:10 ring and pinion. I was looking into this not long ago and

had numerous offers-most around $150 for said r&p. Then, of

course, a competant mechanic has to be paid to do the work.

Or you can get a diff ready to go for about a grand. Aardvark

had one for awhile but I see it's gone now. I'm sure there's

someone out there willing to parrt with one for the right

money.

Guest Anonymous

The 4-cylinder E30 differential is much bigger than the 2002/E21 differential. It mounts differently as well, hangs from above instead of bolted down onto a platform. To use the E30 diff in a 2002 would probably require the transplant of a whole E30 rear subframe.

Incidentally, the E30 318is has a 4.10:1 LSD too. Some of the E30 M3's came with 3.45:1 LSDs.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I've not seen many E30 318is examples, besides the one my wife drives, but those that I have seen had the LSD. A very popular option, I suppose.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

in Europe, well in Finland at least. There's 4,11 in all 1502's, 315's, 316's...all small engined cheapo models. However here it's very hard to find LSD or 5-speed!

Tommy

Guest Anonymous

just bought a 4.10:1 long neck rear diff to replace the 3.64:1 long neck in my car. My plan is to have a quaife unit installed into the 4:10 and a 5 speed by next spring. You should be able to shorten the driveshaft to fit no problem. I'm going a slight different route in that I plan on fitting a front section E12 driveshaft to my 2002 driveshaft (to convert to the 320i 3 guibo --the splined center section of the driveshafts are the same between both the 2002 and E12). Then have the E12 bit shortened to fit the car. It will save time and I won't be cutting up that rare 2002 driveshaft.

WH