• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a distributor be rebuilt?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My part-throttle miss is back, intermittently and not bad; I think it'll get me to Texas OK this weekend and back next, but I'm suspecting the distributor. Since the non-tii units seem to be NLA, is it possible to get a standard vac-advance dizzy rebuilt? Would an automotive electrical shop do this? Could I do the job, and if so where would I get a parts kit?

Thanks,

-Dave

Guest Anonymous

might be available also. Springs for the 74 Tii vacuum retard distributor are Bosch # 0 231 180 013. I don't know what other years have?

Guest Anonymous

I have one in my 1600 and it seems to work fine.

You might see if the part is available as remanufactured from Bosch (as opposed to BMW) through an import auto parts store.

I have a vacuum advance distributor from a 68 1600 with 72,000 miles - I don't know its condition, of if that would help you out. I also have another 1600 distributor with a bad point plate, but it worked great until the point plate broke - maybe good for parts. Let me know if your interested.

Guest Anonymous

Check your phone book auto electric shops and ask them whether or not they rebuild distributors. Of course you could alawys rebuild your own if you so desire.

If you have a low compression motor you probably will want stick with a vac dizzy. If your has a vac retard dizzy and you've removed all of your smog equipment you way want to switch to a vac advance dizzy. -J

Guest Anonymous

I made my own bushing extractor using a long bolt, a bridge piece and a couple of ground-down washers; works like a charm.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

...on an '02 with lower compression and stock intake and exhaust -- the advance curve, I've heard, comes on more slowly to avoid detonation with the high-compression pistons that were used on the ti and tii. I dunno if I'd notice the difference or not.

-Dave

Guest Anonymous

After playing with the timing/dwell/etc, we found the tune-up specs for the 1802 worked better for my particular car than those for the 1602 or 2002

May not apply to your condition.