• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Runs a bit hot, and diesels like crazy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I don't get it, I just finished swapping an e21 head, new headgasket, brand new ignition, newer radiator, newer thermostat, newer fan, new fan belt, new weber dgas 38/38, set the timing, runs smoothly but it just ends up somewhat over halfway on water temp gauge while cruising, then ends up about 3/5 of the way at the gauge by the time I shut the motor off. Then it will diesel a bit (2-4 seconds), if I let the motor idle after putting it in park it will get even hotter. Its only about 55* outside. I notice there's a bit of smoke/steam coming from the oil cap if I remove it shortly after it was running. I have all of the smog water hoses disconnected, I'd use my heater but the fan doesn't blow when I turn it on (something I'll work on fixing before winter!)... what else should I do or check to remedy this problem? What exactly causes the dieseling (rumbling after ign is turned off)? Thanks..

-Joe

Guest Anonymous

What If I were to just seat of the pants advance the timing (no timing light), since retardation causes an increase in exhaust temp, hence more heat in the motor...?

The new radiator isn't clogged but I may run some flush stuff through it anyhow. I set the valve clearence to .08 if I recall, it was from a bmw 2002 manual. Should I loosen them up? Thx

-Joe

Guest Anonymous

After you switch off the key, the ignition system has no power, so there are no sparks. How could timing have any effect under those conditions?