• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ARP studs, installation questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,

I'm putting in ARP studs to replace the headbolts and have a couple questions:

Do I replace the stock washers with the ARP ones, or should I 'double washer' things?

When I put the studs into the head, I'm supposed to 'hand tighten' the studs into the block. If I understand John Aho's tutorial on studs properly, I should avoid threading the stud so far in to put the shoulder of the stud against the surface of the head, right?

Have I missed anything obvious?

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

I used the supplied ARP washers. I tightened the studs by

hand, locking them temporarely with non-heat-resistant lock-

tite to lock them during torque-up.

Hugo

Guest Anonymous

i used raceware studs.

their instructions were to use their washers and just hand tighten the studs. use a little oil to lubricate the threads. Make sure the holes are clean and free of oil. Also, on the studs that are outside of the valve cover use teflon tape or RTV Sylicone Selant on threads for the nuts. Othersise you'll get oil leaks.

steve

Guest Anonymous

if you tighten the stud into the block, any stresses you induce will be relieved once you torque the head. I don't remember him recommending running the studs in hard, just commenting that 'studs are a lot harder to fuck up by their basic nature...'

t