• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE ON BILLET STUB AXLES GROUP BUY!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi Guys, I just wanted to update you on the group buy that I am organizing for aircraft quality billet 2002 stub axles from the highly reputable Summers Brothers in Ontario, CA.

We now have 6 orders, including my own. This entitles us to the $550/pair price, a $200/pair savings over the regular price of $750. HOWEVER, if we can get 4 more firm committments (for a total of 10 pairs), then we can get a further reduction to $475/pair. I'd really like to hold out for this price, so please step right up if you're interested...

To recap, these are exact reproductions of 2002 stub axles, only they are machined in billet (read: indestructible) instead of cast like the OEM units. They are excellent insurance against a major fiasco in the event of stub axle failure and are a must for anyone pushing 170hp or more. They are also a bargain relative to the 2002 turbo stub axle upgrade or even the price of rebuying stock parts for that matter.

FYI, these stub axles will work with either a "regular" '02 or a tii and will work regardless of whether you have an '02 diff. or a 320 diff., 3:90 or 3:64, whatever. There has been some confusion, but the stub axles (unlike the output shafts) have nothing to do with the differential...it is the part that slides into the splined hub.

Give me a shout if you're interested...

Best,

Coop

Guest Anonymous

i think he had two pairs of super nice quality ones made (he was upgrading to 5 bolt pattern. . . to fit HRE's. . . it's another story =) maybe i can hook you up with him and you can do it for less $$$$$$$

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

i told a racer buddy of mine about my desire to get these stubs. he said that stubs rarely, if ever break, and not to do it. but, i remeber jeff losing his wheel in the race at butonwillow, whic was stub break, i think( or else someone- nonames- did not torque wheel on , lol. well, i dont usually override my friend's opnions, but i want them- i have the power, want the insurance. like car to be ovrbuilt in all areas. now, if i can just get some padsthat dont overheat- had big time brake fade on the tahoe trek. may need to create air tube to backing plate ala E30 M3 system. right from the air dam holes to the back of the rotors. dont like no brakes when nedd to come down from a buck to 30 for a hairpin in a sort distance.anyway- if someone has developed a front brake cooling system, plz let me know. i need it for the A4.thanks again coop.

Guest Anonymous

My solution for brake cooling on the track was to mount two

airducts from Pegasus Racing on my Kamei airdam. I run a

ducting hose to the front suspension, and zip-tie it so it

makes a 90 degree turn and points towards the inside of the

rotor (assuming you've upgraded to the 5-series calipers with

'77 320i vented rotor and removed the stock backing plates).

Not as elegant as a connector on the backing plates, but very

effective, even with Hawk Blue pads at a brake-eating track

like Sebring. Once painted it looks surprisingly stock.

Ian

'76 M2002

Guest Anonymous

The rear stub axles do break, if they don't you don't have power.

The billet stubs sound a good idea, not for a road car but if you race, do it , I run e30 drive shafts, bigger but they work.

Tom

Guest Anonymous

I initiated this whole billet stub axle thing after talking with '02 racer extraordinaire Jeff Ireland. He told me about a few spectacular OEM stub axle failures that resulted in nasty wrecks. He also told me that I was playing with fire driving around in a 267 hp M2 with stock stub axles. Jeff was the one who sent me to Summers Bros as they are the ones that built his 3 sets for his 3 '02 race cars. He has now raced 8 or 9 seasons on the billet units with no incidents. He has also pulled them out to inspect them and reported that they looked the same as the day they were installed.

I agree with your conclusion...Even while there may be opinions stating that this is an "overkill upgrade," like cooling (which you and I have chatted about ad nauseum!), it is also an area where I'll take the overkill!

Best,

Coop

Guest Anonymous

I initiated this whole billet stub axle thing after talking with '02 racer extraordinaire Jeff Ireland. He told me about a few spectacular OEM stub axle failures that resulted in nasty wrecks. He also told me that I was playing with fire driving around in a 267 hp M2 with stock stub axles. Jeff was the one who sent me to Summers Bros as they are the ones that built his 3 sets for his 3 '02 race cars. He has now raced 8 or 9 seasons on the billet units with no incidents. He has also pulled them out to inspect them and reported that they looked the same as the day they were installed.

I agree with your conclusion...Even while there may be opinions stating that this is an "overkill upgrade," like cooling (which you and I have chatted about ad nauseum!), it is also an area where I'll take the overkill!

Best,

Coop

Guest Anonymous

Best,

Coop