• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to transport a clunker

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

girlfriend is gonna kill me, but I am seriously considering a '70 '02 for a restoration project. It's really crusty, but I am determined to get it roadworthy again. The scenario is this: the car was driving back in '99, but due to circumstances it has been sitting outside in New England weather since. The brakes need to be re-done, so even if I get the thing started I wouldn't want to risk driving it at all. I've never had to move a car before, esp this distance, so any advice would be sincerely appreciated. Do I start calling towing companies in my area? Does anyone know if the bmwcca helps out with discounts in cases such as this? Which is going to be more comfortable to live/sleep in when my girlfriend kicks me out of the apartment? my '74 or this roundie?

Thanks,-Arthur

Guest Anonymous

You may be lucky and have a tow truck driver/owner thats a member of your local car club, or autoX club, or whatever. At our local track, one of the racers brings his racecar out on his towtruck (flatbed) every race weekend. Works out great when someone wrecks their car as he hauls it back for them.

If you have a local club, maybe post a message saying you are looking for help towing/hauling a vintage car. I know I would probably do it for a beer if I was around you. But the drive up from Canada is a bit of a bitch... :)

Matt

'72 02/m20

Guest Anonymous

... Find a friend with a full size pickup or SUV tow vehicle. IMPORTANT: With U-Haul you must specify the tow vehicle and towed vehicle, and they must exist in U-Haul's database, and they must be judged appropriate by U-Haul. Since a 2002 is not in their database, give them the make/model of a similarly sized newer car when asked for the towed vehicle. If you tell them "BMW 2002", they will refuse the rental.

Guest Anonymous

...from Atlanta to Michigan on two snowtires (incl. wheels) off of my Toyota Corolla.

I used a U-Haul two wheel dolly. Rent it here, leave it there. I disconnected the driveshaft and changed the rear axle fluid, then drove through the rain.

The car had been sitting for seven years in field.

Ten months later, I DROVE it back to Atlanta.

Delia Wolfe

'73tii

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

Guest Anonymous

much lighter (and cheaper to rent) than a car trailer so you can tow behind a small pickup/large pax car. If you suspect the tires, "borrow" two off your existing 02 or from a friend for the trip. As light as an 02 is, two or so people can push a dead '02 up onto a dolly.

If you don't have a truck, rent a small one from Budget etc (shop prices on internet or via their toll-free numbers--they vary day to day) You can do the whole trip in a day, so shouldn't be terribly expensive. A lot cheaper than paying a towing co.

Just don't try towing it behind a rope for taht distance! (ask me how I know this!)

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

When I was driving it, it stayed together quite well. If anything fell off, I didn't notice. If I arrived with a few missing parts, they weren't necessary in the first place.

I was just glad it was "Blaze Orange."

The tractor trailers were zipping around me as if I were a safety barrel.