• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pet peeve.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

DSCF00071.jpg

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

I was just noticing the other day, that people have been parting out cars that could be saved. That really bugs me, that someone would do that, just to make a few bucks on parts. I can understand the lure of the almightly dollar, but come on! If a rust free, complete 02 presents itself, and you don't want to fix it up, leave it for someone who will. These cars are getting harder, and harder to find these days, so please, don't hack up the good ones. Does this piss off anyone else, or just me?

Al

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Here here! I agree Al. I'm sick and tired of having to fix up Rusty

buckets of bolts and someone else cuts up a perfectly good one.

A friend of mine asked if all the used rust free body parts I bought

from 2002AD were from the same car. Luckly for me they were

different colors so I know they weren't.

john

Guest Anonymous

Almost anything can be saved given the patience and some $$. Martin's car (see pix below) was pristeen compared to what I wrestled with trying to undo thirty Ohio winters on Wolfgang. I woulda been turning cartwheels if he had looked so nice in the cowl area (and Martin, you can come weld on my cars anytime--really nice job).

I guess part of it is perception--a California/Arizona parts car is an Ohio/Michigan daily driver or at least restoration candidate.

Particularly if the car is an early one or a tii or even a low VIN/unusual color...hey guys 'n gals--they're not making any more. Save as many as you can; once they're cut up they're gone forever.

Cheers, and keep 'em running

Mike

Guest Anonymous

As an example, I had to do my car's floor and install new fenders, doors, taillight panel and right rear quarter panel. And it is just a run-of-the-mill 1976. Airborne ocean salt and eats cars like crazy.

Victor is bringing another one from the brink, and I have several friends that have restored cars which would not be worth a second look in California or any other "dry" state.

Guest Anonymous

more critical of 02's. Facts speak for themselves. These cars are not rare and unless the car is 'special' in some way, the sawzall gets to eat.

Cut up a really nice 70 Nevada because I needed the floors for my old rusty tii.

Guest Anonymous

DSCF00071.jpg

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

Cutting up an 02 that isn't realistically salvageable, is one thing. But cutting up an otherwise nice, solid 02, that is sad. You say they aren't rare, or "special", I say that a mostly rust free, complete 02, is special in and of itself. You should have been able to find good floor pans in another car. Maybe one that had been in a bad crash.

Al

Guest Anonymous

We could all chip in and upon purchase we could store them all at my house. Yeah, I'd even allow them to be put in my name, if you all agree. I'd be good, I promise!

Guest Anonymous

My daily driver is/was a 67 1600 vin 151xxx, which is

kinda low, and it is a salvage title. But, I bet back east wrenchers have 14 min orgasm's over the mechanical simplicity, orginaliy an utter pureness (and, non rust) of the car. Yawn. Just a car in L.A.

Guest Anonymous

that no one in this area really seems to want to other places where they'd really be appreciated.

I've been trying to find a new home for a Colorado non sunroof '73 that a local guy has had more or less for sale for over a year now - it's a sound, rust free, decent car that he wants (or wanted) around $3500 for, but I can't seem to get anybody around here interested enough to even go look at it.

Same situation with a Polaris squarelight sunroof that's sitting mouldering away in a local driveway - it's not in bad shape (yet) but nobody's interested in working on the lady to sell it.

Guest Anonymous

most of which were completed by Korman's shop - including a stage III engine. The '73 spent the majority of its life in a garage, but the previous owner wrecked the car. I want to properly repair the damage, and also replace the flared quarters with stock rear quarters. When I priced the new body pieces the cost came to well over $4,000.00 (for the sheet metal only). I purchased a rust-free '72 shell for $500.00, a hood for $150.00, and new core support and fenders from BMW for $1,200.00. So, by cutting up the nice '72 there was a savings of >50%. Hopefully the remaining pieces of the '72 shell can be used by someone to save another nice 2002.

- Larry

Guest Anonymous

...especially that really early '68 that came up earlier. I got several years of good use out of Basil, my '75 2002, and it would still be going strong had it not been totalled. That car wouldn't have even qualified as a parts car given the description of what some folks are parting out. I wish I hadn't sold Basil in the first place...but live and learn.

Keep 'em together! Round or square, they're all Bavaria's children.

Tim

'76 2002

'03 Golf