• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AH yes, another paranoid 5speed conversion question.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So I have the drive line hooked up and all. The only thing separating the tunnel from the tranny on the drivers side are the wires for the reverse switch. Is it kosher to do some cave-man sheet metal work and pummel more clearance into the tunnel?

Guest Anonymous

just take out your frustrations with some judicious whanging!

I've been watching your progress, will be doing my 5 speed soon...

Mike

Nevada '69 (gonna stay stock)

Sahara '73 (gonna get a 5 speed)

Guest Anonymous

to the tranny. They 'clamp' onto the left side of the tranny. I think there are supposed to be two of them. Sounds like you didn't get them with your tranny. That's what you really need. Also, use the 2-wire cable with outer sheath that came with the 5-speeds and do a splice aft of the tranny.

Doing this, you will have the cable (2 wires) tucked tightly against the tranny and out of harms way.

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

of the wire away from the tunnel... thats my main concern. I made my own connectors with stuff lying around the shop. will see soon enough if they are on correctly. Yes, the wire will chaff but is the tranny supposed to be that close or is somethng outta wack? Did I mention that removing the slave cylinder is a bitch, I found that a fuel pump wrench was needed. It had two 90 bends in it and a closed end 12 point whatchamagible for w wrench, worked great.

Guest Anonymous

If you have a Getrag 245, there should be lots of room. In fact, there is enough room to leave the old crossmember brackets in place. The width of the rear casings of a 245 are about the same as the 02 4-speed.

Gil

72 Tii