• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loud....CLUNK in rear end

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I got some urethane ones from Mesa Performance for ~$12 each - but you need a hydraulic press to install them into the housing, the BMW rubber ones only come as an assembly and are $$$.

Also check your rear subframe mounts. The guibo and center driveshaft support bearing, could be work as well, but if bad would probably cause more of a low vibration than a clunk. Get under there with a flashlight and a prybar and I'll bet you'll see some old broken rubber somewhere....

Guest Anonymous

i am starting to get this loud clunk noise in the rear end. it is not continuous, it is almost like a backfire, but it feels like it is in the rear end at the wheels. it happens from a stop in 1st as i begin to accelerate, and sometimes in second. if i make a u turn it does it as well. it feels like it is happening to the rear end under load (uphill, turning, etc..) but it is not specific to just those times. I recently had the throttle linkage worked on, but i dont see how they are related. any help or ides is greatly appreciated.

thanks

eric

73 tii

Guest Anonymous

I'd make sure everything is tight in the rear of the car, including the lugnuts. Also check to see if something is rolling around in the trunk!

Guest Anonymous

If this happens right as you put load on the rear (leting the clutch out) and then there is a clunk, it very well may be the spider gears going out in the diff. I don't think it would be anything spring related as I drove on a broken spring for about a month with no noise. If I were you, I'd start looking for a new diff, sounds like a couple of teeth have chipped off. But then again, I could be wrong.

Guest Anonymous

My problem was where the rear subframe bolt when up into the body under the rear seat. The area where the bolt threaded into totally broke , thus causing a clunking noise during accel and decel...

Good luck,

Robert

Guest Anonymous

then I lost it when I decided to man handle it...if you havn't already lost it, its going to go soon...that clunk you feel is one of the spider gears missing teeth. Mine was shattered after I opened it up...try and get a nice lsd in there as a replacement.

-Doug

Guest Anonymous

...in other words, loading and unloading the drivetrain, I would bet good money that it is your diff going. As everybody else has said, one or two missing spider teeth will cause this kind of noise. Mine went out spectacularly fast after this started to happen...the more teeth you lose, the further the gear travels before hitting the next tooth, the more force is absorbed by the tooth, and the quicker the tooth will break away. I managed to shear my entire spider gear off in the course of three or four miles, babying it all the way.

Get yer jackstands out! If you want to finish it off, just do one really good clutch-drop start and hear the exciting noises...

Tim

'75 2002

'88 325is