• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Car Is Officially Road Legal!!

DaveBMX

I don't really get to many, and the ones I do get to are down here. Bromley pageant is a good one (Kent) and of course any meets they hold at gaydon.

Brighton speed trials are something to see too. Best making a weekend of that though (treat the missus)!

yeah Dean sounds like it might be a winner! something nice to do in summer.

hey choptop its not too bad at 4.5% co at 1200ppm but i think some people do have to fiddle their carbs to get through!

the actual inspection is pretty tight though but makes sense. best to be safe!

regards

Dave

• 8 months later...

Hi Dave,

I am new to post here but have been trolling the site for a year or so.

Firstly, well done on getting the car passed MOT and now being able to enjoy it legally on the road!!! I have watched your blogs from time to time and will be going back over them to review them in more detail to see what tips I can pick up as I venture into a M42 transplant into my 1970 '02.

I am in Sydney Australia and I have the M42 engine/gearbox including harness and ECU from an E30 318is bolted up to my 02' cross member using JakeB's mounting kits (highly recommended) and I now trying to gauge clearances for my steering box to exhaust header, as well as the inlet manifold and air cleaner to the RHD twin brake boosters.

I have figured that I can move the lower booster about 25mm rearward and this will clear the Alternator, whereas I am sop far stuffed with the exhaust manifold to steering box clearance - have got the E30 and E36 M42 exhaust manifolds and they both not suitable, and I was reading one of your earlier posts about the E36 M44 manifold and how this might work.

Did you end up using the M44 exhaust manifold and get it to clear the steering box?

Does anyone else out there know what other exhaust options (apart from custom headers) for a RHD M42 into 2002 conversion?

thanks

Robert

p.s. I will have to return the favour for all the help I have got from this forum in the prep for my project and will have to start my own build blog soon I think!!!