• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shit!! Found my rust.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

rod_dallas.jpg

No problem on the rear mounts. Just the right front frame rail in the area that is welded to the body. The front floors are ok inside the car. What is the best fix? Do you have to cut an entire frame rail from a donor car, or can the rusted section be removed and replaced?

Guest Anonymous

I assume you mean the front frame rail. It can be replaced or repaired, but first remove all that undercoat crap and thoroughly check the other structural areas of the car for rust. Especially under the rear seat where the rear subframe mounts are. These often rust.

Colin

Guest Anonymous

rod_dallas.jpg

The PO had artfully concealed some serious rust in the right side frame rail with epoxy and undercoat. The damn thing is as soft as butter. Can a frame rail be gusseted or replaced?

Guest Anonymous

Sometimes, the rusty section can be repaired by cutting out the rust and welding in a patch made from the same gauge sheet metal. Matt McGinn in CT (who is on this board) would know all about this and has probably done the repair before. (He restores classic cars as a business)

HTH

Colin

Guest Anonymous

You'd want to locate a new or used one before you go in there and pull things apart. Youo definitely need to remove the undercoating (and the patch stuff) under the car and the same stuff on the floor above the frame rail. 02s floors typically rust from the footwell areas down, and not from the underside up. You may find that some of the floor needs repairing too.

You can section in part of a frame rail, but the best thing is to replace the entire piece. Rust in the rear part of frame rails is a common 02 problem. You should check the drivers side too.

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

rod_dallas.jpg

The driver's floor is rust free and I cannot detect rust in the frame rail. In fact, the fucking PO told me he replaced a section of the right side floor. He even gave me pics of it. I took a look and the patch is apparent with no rust. I guess the asshole just shortcut the deal on the frame rail. That is typical of this guy.

Guest Anonymous

had to do mine from firewall aft on drivers side due to leaking master cylinder. The old one kinda fell out, so piecing the new one wasn't too hard...just make sure you gusset the joint.

Good luck

Mike

Nevada '69 (with new frame rail)

Sahara '73 (CA car, never rusted!)

Guest Anonymous

banner.gif

Cleaned up the rail, put some rust killer. Made a bracket to go over the rusted frame and welded it in.

There wikk be pictures and description of most of the work coming to theis site in a week or so.

steve k.