• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

close ratio 5-speed ID

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Guys,

I think I might have a close ratio 5-speed from an e21, but I'm not convinced, seeing as I picked it up "in good shape" for $250. What are some unique characteristics of the close ratio v. the regular overdrive 5-speed (numbers on casing, size, etc.).

Thanks in advance, and this board is awesome,

Tim

Guest Anonymous

The center casing is not as long as the Getrag 245 one. I think it is about 3.1" long if I remember right. (I can'f find Mike McCartneys book which has all the info.) There should be matching serial numbers stamped on the rear and center casings on the top of the tranny. It will look similar to an 02 style tranny, with the clutch throwout arm sticking outside the square hole in the bellhousing. It will have a 'dogleg' shift pattern, with reverse far left and forward, and 1st directly behind that. (really hard to get used to) The rear casing is the same as an 02 one, and should be stamped with '242' on it. It should have a mech. speedo takeoff, like an 02. I would pull the oil drain plug out and see if there's pieces of metal in there. Not a good sign if there is, and you could be in for a very expensive rebuild on one of these.

On the other hand, do you possibly have a later type Getrag close ratio 5-speed? That wouldn't have a mech. speedo takeoff on it. Don't know much about them though.

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

02cr5speed.jpg

Howdy Everyone!

Been lurking for a couple of days and had to post.

Was lucky enough to snag one this past summer from a car going to the crusher soon.

This is a genuine 2002 CR/5 speed. I currently have it over at Jim Blanton's shop here in town to have him inspect it. He was truly amazed to see one after many years - most of the ones he's built in the past few years have been made by piecing together 2-3 bad ones to make a good one...

Regards,

Keith

'74tii - Stella

http://www.my2002tii.com