• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie needs your help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/14971638.html

Hi all! What do you think of this car at this link?

I have always wanted a 2002, and at this point I would like to have one to get to know the ins and outs of it, more than I would drive it...

what is your assumption of this car according to what you can see and what the owner says? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Guest Anonymous

Seems to have some REALLY nice parts on it. I think it would be a great starter car.

You can get that rear panel used from someone on this board.

Hope that helps.

Lyle

Guest Anonymous

i looks like a tinkerer's dream to mee - and for $650 with the recarros i don't think you can go wrong - take it for a test drive and see if it is roadworthy - if so - jump on it!

good luck and welcome to the gang

bob

Guest Anonymous

proposition - if the damage to the rear panel is no worse than it appears it should be relatively easy to repair, and a lot of good stuff's already been done.

Welcome aboard!

Guest Anonymous

As long as the electrical hasn't been butchered, could be a good starter car.

Has some real good points- Roundie, sunroof, interior looks good, dash(although not correct)looks good.

The body work is mentioned up front, so the bargaining items are going to be: Suspension- upper strut bearings, control arms, tie rods; Brakes- pads, rotors, shoes, drums, cables ; Electrical- check all functions and switches- fan, wipers, back up lights ; Rust- check the rockers, rear shock mounts, trunk floor under spare. Remember, doors and front fenders are easily replaced.

Ask for any records and make sure it has a clean title. If anything starts to sound fishy, it probably is. In that case, the right car will come along.

Good Luck.

Guest Anonymous

Like everybody says, if it drives well, buy the car! Keep in mind the tail on the roundies are over $300 at 2002 AD. But if you check the sale forum, there is a guy named Gordon, giving away a 1600 for $100! I think you can graft that backend on to the 2002 and you would be set. I have never done the swap so maybe somebody else can comment on the effort required.

-arlen

Guest Anonymous

From past experience with a friend's project, you are into spending a lot of money in parts and bodywork.

The car will require one rear panel, a minimum of one quarter panel, possibly two, I fear the trunk panel is pretty well rippled too.

Even if I were given this car, I would dismantle it. Not a keeper.

Guest Anonymous

it's got what appear to be the later (74-76) front end with the plastic grilles. Not a big problem, especially on a $650 car, but just surprised that no one (especially on this board) has noticed!!

Bret.

Guest Anonymous

If you simply wish for a rough and ready platform to develop a working understanding of what an '02 is about in anticipation of a decision whether to commit a greater outlay of money for a better '02 - then go for it! '02's are great fun to bang around in, while used bits will keep them going. Mechanical knowledge relative to '02's is laboriously acquired but the source of great satisfaction as the popularity of this board attests. A $500 2002 will likely teach you more that $5,000 up to a point. A $500 2002 will bleed you white should you opt to restore it fully, but on a harmless 'let's see what I can learn' basis short of full restoration - why not? Most enthusiast magazines implore the reader to purchase the best example you can afford, and no one could argue with this logic. It could be an opportunity to determine if an '02 suits you, if you'll be amenable to learning about and servicing one yourself, and whether or not a better '02 more suitable for full restoration might be your destiny. Follow your instincts and use the force! Best regards...