• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What motor mount do I have?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

FWIW, the left ones can be replaced by a Bavaria one which are the same except 'stiffer'. Credits to Paul @ Max. for this tip.

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

dcp_2454.jpg

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1810729664

Okay, so I see what is labeled a '02 motor mount' on ebay.. I realize that mine looks nothing like it(well, sorta, but not). Whats the deal? In my pic.. you can see the 'top' of the metal is broken off.. but even with that.. maybe i'm just looking at it from the wrong angle or side or something. No wait, I'm not. one of us is messed up!

the url link is ebay.. the pic is mine

Guest Anonymous

And yeah, I guess you could call it a 'bellhousing'. Hmm. basically like a small butter container shape..with one bolt (and one rubber 'tit') going through the middle. TOTALLY different than the the pics. Are they interchangable?

thx

matt

Guest Anonymous

looking. I think the rubber is inside what sorta looks like a shield (bellhousing?) on the 71 and earlier cars. You've got an earlier 02 don't you?

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

I'll see if I can find a pic... but my drivers side one is nothing like either of those. its basically a cylinder (rubber cylinder covered by a metal cylinder) type thing.

wheres that pic..hmmm.

matt

Guest Anonymous

make nice patterns in your radiator. Spec calls for something like 1/8" clearance between the bracket and the rubber.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

that is supposed to catch over the driver's side engine mount bracket when the rubber catastropically fails (yea right). I'd describe the old driver's side mount as a hockey puck, but hey what to we US types know about hockey ..... ;). Certainly sounds more manly than a 'butter dish'!!!

I don't think either type is stiffer than the other. If you haven't yet, you should reinforce the driver's side motor mount bracket, the one that wraps around the steering box. I have some pictures I can email about what should be done, but if you're going for more HP and torque, this is a very weak link and a major bitch to fix once the engine is in.

Cheers!!

John N

Guest Anonymous

I forgot to put it in when test fitting my m20...oops

I'm guessing its to keep the rubber from warping too much?? i dunno