• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it a bad idea to remove center resonator-with straight 2

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

For a number of years I ran a straight center pipe first with a stock muffler then with an Ansa ('till it rusted out). Somewhat (but not overpoweringly) noiser than stock, no better (or worse) perceived performance. Got tired of the Ansa on trips, went back to stock system. Much quieter.

Take your pick

Cheers

Mike

Nevada '69

Sahara '73

Guest Anonymous

system than the BMW engineers???

Stock / Tii / Turbo (if you want to get expensive) exhaust systems flow very well. What problem are you trying to solve?

Cheers!

John N.

Guest Anonymous

but I do like the way you worded that about the engineers...very true. I was thinking for flow reasons but also keeping back pressure in mind. I think I made up my mind- Im keeping it and sand blasting it- thanks for the head check

Guest Anonymous

is the resonator there to modulate sound, or to tune exhaust pulses for power output (or both)? There is a lot of anecdotal information about the stock exhaust system and its efficacy, but I have never seen a scientific analysis (e.g., a reasonably well controlled dyno test, showing stock systems vs. headers vs. "free flow" exhaust, etc.) Does anyone have any proven data?

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

....don't feel bad about questioning whether or not there is a way to improve on the "vaunted" thirty plus year old design of 2002s. Yeah, those engineers were smart but they also had to design a car for the masses thirty years ago, whereas we as 02 enthusiasts in the 2000s often do not fit the 1970s BMW owner profile. Hence the availability of big cams, sway bars, etc. Not to mention the technological improvements made in certain areas over the last three decades. Electronic ignition anyone? Five speeds? Don't even get me started on government mandated hardware that added weight and removed performance or asthetic appeal-bumper overrides, spacers in front to make 02s boattailed, BIG BUMPERS.(resonators?)

Push the envelope and make mistakes. Learn from them and make a better design. Craft your car the way YOU want it to be, but all the while picking up useful information and tips from great sources such as this board.