• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Heater Blower Motor - Fan wobbles... q's...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi All, I have a new heater blower fan, the fan is tight radially, but axially it is slightly wobbly. You can move the fan blades up and down, but it won't spin. Seems that the plastic "stops" on the axle could be pushed in slightly to stop the wobble.. but I want to see what you all think.

Harder to explain than I thought. But, guess the question is, is the fan supposed to be TIGHT on the axle?

Thanks in advance!!!

-Jason

Guest Anonymous

Jason

The fan is supposed to be so tight on the motor shaft that you practically destroy a dead motor to salvage the fan. If it's loose, it'll "walk" up and down the shaft and hit the heater housing, causing an annoying sound every time you turn on the blower. Also wobbling on the shaft will cause noise, too.

Now if you're asking if the motor armature, with fan firmly attached to it can move up and down on the motor bearings just a little (1-2mm), that's normal. Otherwise, as the motor got hot, the armature would seize on its bearings.

Hope that helps. If the assy is new and the fan can be slid up and down on the armature, you should return it.

Cheers

Mike

Nevada '69

Sahara '73

Guest Anonymous

Thought about simply tapping the small piece of plastic to firm it up, but then, over the years, whats going to happen? Don't want to be ripping out the heater box again...

Again, I appreciate the feedback. It helps.

-Jason

Guest Anonymous

I have a new fan and its not tight on the shaft. I am planning on putting lots of epoxy on the little pink clip that goes on the shaft and holds the fan tight so it won't come loose after installed. All the new fans have a new design that is cheap and flawed.

Guest Anonymous

Jason

Possible solution. Find the correct spot for the fan on the motor shaft (compare with old motor/fan) then using a fine saw blade, carefully cut a groove in the armature shaft on each side of the fan, then install a couple of e-clips in the grooves. They should keep the fan from "walking"--but not from loosening on the shaft. To stop that, you'd have to pin it.

Haven't seen the new "cheap" fan/motor assys. Mine are still going strong, thank goodness.

Cheers

Mike

Nevada '69

Sahara '73