• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to drop the @#($*FD driveshaft?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So okay, someone give me a 'driveshaft dropping for dummies'. So far.. the front trans guibo is out.. exhaust is out.. and the center bearing is loosened. But it seems as though the 4 bolts connecting the driveshaft to the diff have round heads on the end.. does this make any sense? I can barely get in there with a wrench.. never mind turn it.. PLUS keep the driveshaft from turning (remember, the front is out, so its hard to throw a screwdriver or something in the front).

is there an easy way to this? I'm thinking.. since the car is waaaay up on jackstands.. that if i unbolt the diff, i can probably 'pull' the entire diff/driveshaft out by pulling/snaking in out through the back. it will be close..but i think its doable. anyone done this before? I dont' think there is any way i'm getting those 4 bolts out as it is right now..

thx

matt

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

okay the first is to have someone in the car and

just crush the brake pedal to the floor. then

while they drain the blood from the rest of their

body, you put a 17mm long handle box end wrench

on the bolt from the right side of the differential

and add the box end of a 19mm wrench to the open

of the 17 and push up on the whole mess to loosen

the bolt.

or the way i do it is to put a 17mm wrench on the

nut and then put a pipe wrench on the driveshaft

and spin the driveshaft so that the nut loosens.

the second is easier because you are using the

torque of the shaft to do the work.

good luck

stone

stone racing co

Guest Anonymous

lisaothersideshade.jpg

those bolts ARE round-headed! But they are locked on their one flat side against something (i forget what) and you ONLY have to attack the nuts. HTH!

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

Watch the banged hands though. It hurts. Some penetrating oil helps. Once undone keep them clean and when you atack this project in the future it will be 2x as easy.

kris

Guest Anonymous

Well.. brakes are disconnected, so can't do that. the front of the driveshaft is on the ground, and i'm by myself, so can't do that. so i'll have to try to jam something into the rear yoke...although i'll be damned if i didn't try that already and there was no room. oh well, i'll try again.

damn you mr driveshaft, you WILL come out today!

matt

Guest Anonymous

This technique works! (take it from a floundering mechanic -- actually accountant who is too cheap to pay for others to work on his 02 who could do the job in 1/10 the time it takes me!!). Mine took a little longer than 15 minutes but it was not an all day process either.

Guest Anonymous

Use a large spanner on the flat (like a 20/22) and put it under the flange and rotate the flange until it won't turn and is 'locked' in place. Then undo one of the flange nuts. Remove spanner and repeat 3 more times. It'll be out in about 15 mins. (practice helps on this job!)

This is quick, won't damage anything, is a one person job, and you won't skin any knuckles.

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

I must be dense today.. I don't get "Use a large spanner on the flat (like a 20/22) " please explain..

matt - founder of dummies 101