fuel return line: take it or leave it? (more)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://oregonstate.edu/~hahne/

Should I disconnect my fuel return line, or leave it there?

I have a wierd gas leak, and I wonder if the frl has anything to do with it: whenever I turn the car off, then start it again, the fuel gauge needle drops a tad, a noticeable tad. TIA.

Guest Anonymous

and probably in reasonable condition. the fuel line is a plastic line.

take everything off and pressure test both lines. replace as needed.

if you end up replacing the plastic one, which is more often the case, you might want to think about replacing it with a steel line... depends what you are planning on doing down the track but having two steel lines is great for higher fuel pressure applications.

cheers

ozgeorge

Guest Anonymous

check grounds and connection for the erratic gauge issue. pull and inspect sending unit in tank, if issue continues.

hth

frank

Guest Anonymous

You can plug it at the tank and up front, keeping crud out of it while its not used.

When I first got my car in '83, my BMW dealer mechanic installed a fuel filter after the mechanical pump (AC-Delco, I think) with two outlets. The main large outlet went to the carb. the second, smaller outlet went to the fuel return line.

The smog stuff associated with the fuel return had been previously removed and the car still had the Solex. In later years, after the Weber was installed, I have just plugged the return line and use a simple in-line filter.