• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW M20 engine

brutus240

I have two complete 1984 M20 engines. Both were removed from 1984 325e coupes, and are 2.7 liter engines. These are located in central Indiana. The engine that I removed from my car (complete service history) less than a year ago is available for $250.00, and the engine from an '84 parts car with a steel oil pan from an E28 five series BMW is available for $100.00. Both engines have approx. 200-250k miles on them and were running before their removal.

Just as a warning, the ETA motors used two sensors that read off the flywheel. Unfortunately BMW put them next to the throttle pedal in the transmission and they completely interfere with the '02 throttle linkage(the 3/4" wide flat strip that attaches to the side of the pedal box.

So, if you go with an ETA motor(84-87) then you'll need to make your own throttle pedal assembly or convert it to "i" specs by using the computers/head/intake from an "i" car (88-91).

If you need motor mounts let me know, I'll have more available shortly.

Looking for a M20 engine off of a 80s 3 series to do a possible engine swap on my 1976 BMW 2002

If you're considering an M20 engine build project, a buddy of mine has a 2.7L block, a set of new higher-compression pistons (oversize) with rings, prepped/polished/balanced crank, rods and flywheel. Call it a 'shortblock kit', all located in Southern California. No shipping.

Email me for his contact info (OP, or anyone else who might be interested). -KB

i would like horse power, but i also want something that is easy to swap. if i get the right m20 engine i could get up to 170 hp. my main concern is that the engine is fuel injected. and i dont want to be spending a lot of money on the engine too, i know its not going to be cheap, but i dont want to pay like $2,000 for an engine either.

'76 2002

The "i" engine is easier to swap(better documented) and 170hp stock. Cost depends, if you can find a parts car 88-91 325i with a running motor that will have most of the parts you need. If you can find the car cheap enough you can do the swap for a few hundred dollars, but expect to spend 1,000-2,000 for the whole swap depending on parts prices around your area.

Guest hogpie

Are you thinking about doing any kind of brake upgrade with the added horsepower. I don't know but it might be a consideration.......steve

• 4 weeks later...
Looking for a M20 engine off of a 80s 3 series to do a possible engine swap on my 1976 BMW 2002, i would like the added horse power and because it is fuel injected, if anyone has one of these engines can you let me know, and give me a price for it.

I know where you can get an M20 engine if you still need it. By the way why are you going to swap the engine?