• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone galvanized 02 parts?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Land Rovers are notorious for rust, so notorious that many aftermarket places sell galvanized frames (yes, the whole frame shiped to you in a box) to replace the one you've undoubtedly had rust out from underneath you. It's probably not a bad idea (though maybe overkill) to have the subframes and suspension galvanized. Bodywork - like you said, I'm not sure you could paint over a galvanized body panel. I would imagine you'd have a hard time making a smooth surface without removing the galvanization.

BTW even the new Landys are rusty. A while back there was a class-action against Land Rover b/c 6 year old Discos were rusting out (LR rust warranty stops at 6 years). My D90 began to rust at 4 years old. Fortunately, LR repaired it under the rust warranty and fortunately, I no loger own it. It's probably still rusting away somewhere.

Josh

Guest Anonymous

I was thinking about galvanizing a rear subframe and Tii trailing arms, and maybe a few other things under the car. Anyone done this? Experiences? Doing this would make those parts last almost forever.

I read about some guy in England once who restored a Fiat 500 and had the whole body galvanized to make it last forever. It seems to me that it is not easy to get paint to adhere well to zinc though?

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

You can make the rear subframe last a LOT longer by simply welding sheet metal plugs onto the open ends of the frame. (Don't know why BMW didn't do this to begin with) If you really want to guild the lilly, drill into the long portion of the frame rail and fill it with thinned down used motor oil, then plug the hole. That's ONE part you won't have to worry about ever rusting from the inside out!

Cheers

Mike

Nevada '69 (original subframe collapsed!)

Sahara '73 (learned from the '69)