• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starts but dies right away

chichy

73 2002 - mech fuel pump/008 dist/Weber DFV/manual choke/I'm forgetting some other stuff...

Hi everybody... Finally had the car out about a month ago for the first trip since the brakes work. Hooray! 70 mph on 35W to the dog park, stopped at my sister's, went to put some delicious non oxy gas in and it wouldn't start after I went to pull away. I topped off (9 gallons) on to the old, old gas that was seafoam'ed and it cranked but wouldn't catch. Very hot day, BTW.

Got it home, and after it cooled off it would start (right up!) but wheeze and die when accelerator was pressed. Some (whitish) smoke from the tail and a big engine shudder when turned key turned off. Checked vacuum on (new) brake booster hose and valve and re-torqued carb base bolts. Carb (Weber DFV) looks ok, I guess. I sprayed carb cleaner down the barrels and not much was different during and after. I haven't done anything with the gas tank or lines except tighten a couple hose clamps. The feeder in the trunk flows fine, Made a mess in there.

*Question: vac leaks at intake manifold are rare, right? Would a beat gasket at the exhaust side matter? Any other vacuum areas I forgot to check?

Fuel filter is brand new and clear, fuel pump (mech only) spit plenty of gas in a milk jug, new cap and rotor (which has improved the ignition but not the current issue). Points look OK...

My apologies if I forgot anything; I'll keep my eye out for any queries from you guys, and thank you already.

I'm losing precious time in my (first since '95) 02 season!

Christian

Guest Anonymous

will cause start but no run problem. Put an ohm meter across it - it should be low ohms - less than ten, I think.

Guest Anonymous

It could be the bypass relay or some part of that circuit's wiring. Of course you may not have any of this stuff on your car.

If so, here's a pic of the bypass resistor with the bypass relay partially visible to the right -

free image hosting

Here's a schematic of the circuit (#2 is the resistor, #3 is the relay) -

free image hosting