• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info (and pics)on 320i steering rack conversion?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone have info on this conversion? I am wondering what exactly is involved and would like impressions of people that have done it. Is it worth the added work? Is the ratio of the 320i rack any quicker than the stock 02 steering box? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Alvin Caragay

BMWCCA# 156055

'72 BMW 2002

'97 Toyota Tacoma

pair of '90 Yamaha FZR400's

Guest Anonymous

...any different for a LHD car, but you guys answered my questions on the chat last night. Doesn't look too hard. From what I understand, you use the steering rack and the complete steering column from the 320i, and bracketry(like Nick Vyse's car) needs to be welded to the subframe to hold the rack in place. I guess the E21 steering column bolts up to the 2002 column. The only question that remains is how does the steering rack attack to the struts and rest of the steering equipment? Does it simply bolt on? Or is there anything else that needs to be fabricated to make it work? Haven't seen detailed pics of that part of the install. Anyway, Thanks Kris, Rob, and Cam_A for the info! Now I have 1 more mod to add to the list for my '72. =)

Alvin Caragay

BMWCCA# 156055

'72 BMW 2002

'97 Toyota Tacoma

pair of '90 Yamaha FZR400's