• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody else with Hagerty insurance???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got my policy from Hagerty. Love the price ($125/year) and I have no problem garaging the car and not making it my daily driver, BUT, reading the fine print (actually a replacement section), it seems that auto-X and driving schools are forbidden and even driving on a track makes the coverage void. I can live with auto-X, it's not hard to keep the shiny side up, but for a driving school, that could be much more of a problem.

Is this a common rider they're adding or something new they're trying out.

Thanks!

John N

Guest Anonymous

covers 'driving schools'. In fact all the BMWCCA events I've attended are very careful to stress that they are conducting a driving school and are not timing laps.

The way the Hagerty policy reads, even driving your car on a track (lets say a parade lap before your local Historic race) voids your insurance.

Regards,

John N

Guest Anonymous

Dad uses it for the MGs ('34 blown PA, '46 TC, '57 MGA) and has been very happy with it. Of course, none of those cars have either track potential or auto-x use that really happens (that mostly falls on the BMWs :)

What you mentioned isn't anything new with them, I don't think - Hagerty is great in regards to stated value and appearance and low cost, but they also don't want you doing certain things - so it's a tradeoff...of course, it's been a while since I read the specifics of Dad's policy, so I could be wrong.

Of course, theoretically, the cars are only supposed to do so many miles a year, and it's supposed to be sunday outings and to/from events - and we all know how ridiculous *that* is, and how many people keep up with it.

Honestly, there aren't really many insurance companies that will insure a street car for usage on the track. The liability is just too great, as are the unknown variables (stresses of racing, component failure, weather conditions, other racers, red mist) that can cause accidents where no one is really responsible. I guess, simply put, it's just too high a risk an environment with too high a dollar value at stake.

I did some research into this for an FSAE team at one point, and for the ITB car that we're building. Most racing insurance companies only insure property values *off* the track. I say racing insurance companies because most insurance companies are loath to insure a car they *know* is a dedicated racecar. There are a few motorsports insurers out there - do a search of the net if you feel like it.

Even at the track, though, those guys are mostly limited to paddock damage, tools, trailer, etc, and the car's agreed-upon-value when it's not being driven.

So, unfortunately, unless I've missed something, on-track insurance for ANYTHING is pretty rare.

Hope this helps.

Sam

'76

Guest Anonymous

except they don't specifically exclude driving schools (its a catch-22, I can't tell exactly what is covered until I read the policy and I can read the policy until I'm covered).

$125 a year (+$25) and they only offer $25 for towing (Hagerty was $75). If things are different, I'll post to the group.

Hey Rob, this would make a(nother) good FAQ. When I get the word, I'll write things up.

You may need to have USAA coverage, I'm not certain, or the presence of USAA coverage may give you a better rate.

Cheers!

John N.