• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piano Top Piston and Comp Ratio (Mahle)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A.Morris stated that Mahle made 9.5 comp ratio pistons (thanks for the info). I measured my P Tops and they are slightly over 1/4 inches (~8mm) tall. Could these be the 9.5s or is that about stock hieght for a 'piano top'?

Thanks,

Robert

Guest Anonymous

down to get more comp? Or would the valves start to hit the pistons? I am having my head rebuilt and wondered if it can be taken down w/o endangering the pistons...

Robert

Guest Anonymous

Ever go to Bayarea02.com? Try talking to Ireland engineering. When you rebuild the head always gets decked a little. Very little, this will increase comp only negligable amounts. I don't think that you could cut the head down enough to make that much of a difference. If it gets cut what would happen if you wanted a nother rebuild? No more room to shave off!(that last little bit was just speculation) If I wanted higher comp in my engine I would have pistons made. They are not that much more than oem. Or you could switch heads and purchase oem pistons that run higher comp, that would require a different dizzy than you have(probally) or getting the one you have recurved. you would also have to run premium gasoline. Maybe depends wqhere you aare

Guest Anonymous

Hi.

A guy i know with an m10 e30 318i had his head shaved big time, like a couple of mm. CR he claims is over 12:1.

He has big issues with the timing. It affected something cos it is out somehow, and he reckons he needs a vernier cam gear. Something to do with it affecting the actual timing of the cam in respect to the crank. Seems like a big PITA. He does get 100bhp @ wheels, with only a very mild cam (not big enough to screw with injection crap)

That's all i know.

Best of luck

later dude

Michael S.