• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

car runs on only the battery

cluna

I am not an expert by any means but I know that an alternator needs power to create the field to charge the battery. You might want to check that you have all the wires connected.

Good luck!

Patman

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

I know that an alternator needs power to create the field to charge the battery.

Yes, the battery-charging field... You should also check your flux-capacitor while you're busy with that field.

Patman has a good point though that if your whole charging system really is new you should go through and double check all of your connections. Is it the stock alternator or is it an upgraded 65 or 80 amp one? If it's the stock one it'd be hard to mix up the wires since they're all on that one big plug.

How new is the alternator? Is it really new or is it rebuilt?

I would guess the alternator is bad. As far as I know the voltage regulator is fairly durable and there's really nothing more to the charging system than those two parts. I don't know how to check an alternator but you could always take it in to an alternator shop I suppose. They probably wouldn't charge you much if at all just to test it out.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I always thought a quick way of checking an alternator is by seeing if a screwdriver sticks tightly to it when it's running.

Someone who knows something can of course correct me.

Good luck!

Hugh

hnichols