• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Schrick make a 300 deg. cam?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

We took the head off a 320i (1981, 1800cc) my son bought that came with dual Webers. The cam is stamped "300" on the front of the cam. I assume this means a 300 degree cam? This is a really cool discovery if it is! We're going to take the head apart to check it out and maybe do a regrind etc. The valves seem to protude farther out of their seats too. A high lift cam?

We decided to take the motor apart because it was making noise that we thought was possibly rod knock. But it didn't sound quite like rod knock I've heard before. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the cam? The pistons are apparently cut for valve clearance too (I haven't seen the block yet). Could the noise possibly be valves hitting the pistons? Maybe also some valve float?

The motor hasn't seemed to run a strong as it should have, but I don't think the carbs are jetted right, and I don't think the distributor is correct (a mech. one with vac. advance/retard).

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

Gil,

If it was a Schrick cam, you'd see the name "Dr. Schrick" right on it. Often, this shows between cylinder's 1 & 2.

Does the cam look like the base circle is reduced? It's common for regrinders to mark the cam like you reported.

A 300 degree regrind _may_ need lash caps or oversized eccentrics. Did this head have either of those? If it has the other markings like a stock cam, it probably is a regrind.

If it was the BMW sport 300 it would have a "3" on the edge of the flange that the cam gear fits on, and have the first two journals larger.

Guest Anonymous

I belive I read somwhere that it was and option on certain cars and it needed enlarged cam bearing journals. I am going off of my poor memory so read up.

Austin

FEAR PRIMER

Guest Anonymous

Looks to be in decent shape though. Looks like stock eccentrics and it could use oversize ones. There's no other identifying marks on the cam other than "300". There's no "2" or other number(s) on the edge of the flange. The noses of the cam lobes seem to be in good shape, but how to tell if they are worn?

We got all excited for nothing.

Gil

72 Tii

Guest Anonymous

degree_wheel.jpg

Gil,

I forgot you said this was found in an '81 1.8L, which if it used the original distributor had the drive helix reversed.

(Up through 10/78 4 cylinder cams were like the 2002, later ones worked with the reverse rotating distributors.)

So what I said about the stock cam being marked #2 would only show up on yours if it has an early distributor & cam.

The visual check points out the obvious wear (glad to hear it looks OK), but to see if it's really a good grind you need to check it with a "CAM DOCTOR" machine or do the tedious degree wheel work like shown in the pic. It's a PITA to do, but it does ensure things are where they need to be. For the big-buck work, each lobe gets checked on race engines.

//John

Guest Anonymous

Just today I was thinking to practice changing the rear main seal then I realized the stinking mount was in the way- I now will drill the mount and remount the engine thusly-

Thanks Brother

RJ